48. KNOCKS IN NY

I'd managed to convince one of the pilots to fly me to New York while Luke is away in Boston. As much as the two of us could try and act like we were okay, neither of us was okay without Denver. We need Denver. The dynamic of our entire relationship had changed without Denver around. It wasn't entirely bad, it just wasn't the same.

Both Luke and I are in love with Denver. From what Luke had said, Denver was still in love with us, even though he'd left us. Denver had gone, thinking it would be the best solution for the three of us. Since Luke and I are now having a baby together he felt that there was no more room for him. He thought the world wouldn't accept us for what we are; a throuple.

What Denver neglected to realize was that Luke no longer cares what the world thinks about him. And, it should go without saying, I've never given a fuck what the world thinks about me. So him leaving was a moot point at the end of the day.

We are who we are. We like what we like. We love who we love. We don't care what the world, society, has to say about it anymore. I want Denver to be just as much a part of this child's life as Luke and I. I mean, Christ, he was there during the babies conception. It just wasn't his sperm that had done the job.

I climb up the stairs of the apartment building I'd once frequented determinedly. Im going to convince him to come back to Vegas; to come back home. He doesn't belong in New York anymore. No, Denver belongs wherever Luke and I are.

As I take each step, I remember all of those times Denver and I could hardly make it up them. We used to be all over one another, wanting to fuck like rabbits all the time. Those were the times he'd just carry me up, kissing me with everything he had along the way, until he'd throw me down on his bed and have his have with me all night.

I should've known Denver was in love with me back then. If I would've been paying attention in the slightest on those type of cues then I would've seen it. I had just been so convinced that no one should ever love me again.

Love only caused the people I loved pain or caused me pain; neither of which I am keen on. I caress my belly as I make it past the top step, thinking to myself how my love will never hurt the people I love again. This child will have all of my love and the love of the two men I adore. I will make sure of it.

I trudge down the hallway until I am right in front of Denver's door. It's first thing in the morning, so I know he'll be home. With a long breath blowing out of my lungs I bring my fist up to the door and give it a few knocks. I tap my foot impatiently as I wait for the door to open, which it eventually does.

"Malyssa?" Denver's brow furrows in confusion. "What are you doing here, here and by yourself, in this part of the city?!" He looks angry now, ever the protector.

"Denver, I have came up here many a time by myself and you've never had a problem with it before."

"Yeah, but all those other times you weren't pregnant, baby." He shakes his head disapprovingly. "This isn't a safe area. You know that."

"Well, it's not like I could bring Luke. He's uh, he's on a business trip and I don't think he'd be too thrilled if he knew I was here." Denver lets out a little uneasy laugh. "What the hell is funny about that? He's probably going to be furious with me when he finds out but—"

"I wouldn't necessarily say that." He opens the door and gestures for me to come inside. The look on his face has me extremely curious as I do so. "He's pretty tired and I'd say furious was the last thing he was last night." I place my hands on my hips as I look at Luke's naked body that's barely covered by Denver's bedsheet. "We were just missing you."

"This motherfucker." I gesture to a perfectly sleeping Luke.

"He quite literally is a motherfucker."