↳ CHAPTER TWO

HARRIS PLACE ELEMENTARY was, in many ways, just like any other school

HARRIS PLACE ELEMENTARY was, in many ways, just like any other school. Of course, the teachers and the rest of the staff alike agreed that their students were the best, destined for the most success, but at the end of the day, they had all the same classic events that the other schools around Los Angeles did, too. Most, if not all, awaited the annual dance above everything else, but for Bianca, the highlight of the year was the bake sale arranged to raise funds to build an effective, safe environment for each of the kids.

          I mean, not only was it incredibly important, but there was hardly anything better than getting to spend a workday eating cookies and cupcakes.

         With some lavishly decorated tables, a stereo and the PTA's president in the lead with a megaphone, the gym had been transformed from a nightmare factory to a sanctuary of baked goods, selling like literal hotcakes. Bianca couldn't help but smile as she watched the situation from her own stand — one of the volunteer parents had run after her children and the Vasques had stepped in to help, absolutely no ulterior motives behind her sudden interest in looking after the variety of pies on the table. With the comfort of spices in the air and an overall homey feeling around her, it was difficult to not be happy.

         Just as Bianca was about to cut herself a slice from one of the displayed pies, she noticed her step-sister slinking through the crowd of people, her young son clutching her hand as they both greeted her with wide grins. "If anyone asks, Vic goes here, right?" Robin coughed, hoping to convey innocence but the sneaky glance back and forth betrayed her and earned a snort from Bianca in the process.

         "I'm sure no one's going to kick you out", she noted with reassurance, delighted to see her nephew despite him usually going to another school — with his day over, though, Robin was taking the opportunity to buy some cake and see her sister. "How's your day, big guy?" Bianca leaned down to Victor, poking at his nose before finishing slicing the pie and then, sadly, handing the piece over to him rather than digging it into herself.

         As the boy began rambling about his school day, Bianca made sure to listen attentively — at least, until her gaze drifted to the entrance of the gym and found Trixie Espinoza skipping inside with his enthusiastically smiling father at her heels. Regardless of the grin, though, he seemed just a little out of his comfort-zone, a wary look scanning the room full of people as he wiped his hands against his jeans. It was almost amusing, but a natural surge of sympathy did kick in, forcing Bianca to glance down at her hands and hide her own smile.

        "Alright, buddy, how about we go get some brownies for home, huh?" Robin nudged Victor, taking his hand yet again while his other one carried the plateful of pie. A brief hug later, the woman was bidding Bianca farewell and parting from her stand to explore the rest of the gym together with her son, allowing other people to trail over to Bianca.

         She really wasn't hoping for anyone in particular, but she still couldn't hold back a fond roll of eyes when she saw Maeve rushing over with Annika following in a casual stroll. "I saw that!" the Reilly gushed, so loud that Bianca could only praise the amount of noise in the gym for drowning out the incoming stream of gossip. "Ever since I noticed you two in the hallway last week, I knew it was just a matter of time", the science teacher went on, a proud hand landing on her heart as she sighed at Bianca.