Part 7 - A Technopath is Born

The calm only lasted for a few moments, before Bastion's attention refocused onto his body as the nanite technology which fueled his augmentations was injected into his bloodstream. They were designed to operate the same way human blood cells were, they replicated, programmed function, and wove themselves into his body's tissue powering his new hardware, and moving through them to do their work.

His new insights and fledgling technopathic skills suddenly clicked together, and he was able to observe his body, his new bio-wear technology, and the new nanites on a molecular level. He was also able to manipulate all electronic energy and circuitry in his body, and he finally understood why.

The Telepaths were in essence, energy manipulators, and the energy they harnessed was bio-electrical, he was able to do the same, the difference being that their body's receptors were specialized. Christophe had the ability to absorb and manipulate his bio-electrical energy in order to affect the mind, Bastion's ability was able to affect matter. In a way, he was a specialized Deviant, a kind that was encouraged by the Authority because it was useful to their collective, with the right restraints and without the right knowledge, his kind could be controlled and harnessed, Telepaths were dangerous because they didn't need cybernetics to communicate the way he did.

<Focus Bastion,> Christophe sent, <Change the nanites the way we taught you before these can take hold and override your brain to control you.>. Bastion snapped back to attention from his exploration and focused his perception with his newfound awareness to change his cybernetics. Now he could see the innate codes of programming they carried, then he gathered his mental energy released it with a single command ~Change~.

"Electric Magnetic Anomaly detected.", the computers around him chimed, startled the two technicians overseeing his augmentation sprang to life to monitor what was happening. <Fuck!> Bastion sent to his friend, <Fuck indeed love, you almost impacted the entire med lab, don't worry about the techs, I've got control of them and having them shut off the alarms and they'll even delete the record to boot.> The technicians moved robotically now, eyes glazed they operated like marionettes. A feeling of awe radiated from Christophe, <I don't think we've ever come across someone with the power you have Bastion, it's beautiful, and also fucking scary.>

Bastion was flattered but quickly went to work to finish the reprogramming of his entire cybernetic system. As the changed nanites began dismantling the Authority's core programming of his body, he needed to change his focus to creating a Trojan horse of sorts, so that he could trick the Authority into thinking they still had the same control over him that they wish. He created a small facsimile of himself and restructured his cybernetic brain to alert him to any external changes the Authority may try to implement, and simulate them in that part of the mind. He mused, <I really am a Trojan horse, on the outside, my enemies will think I am a gift, but in reality, I am their downfall.>

He wasn't sure how much time passed as he concentrated on locking the Authority out of his mind and body for good. As he worked, a question arose in his mind, <Are the Mutare people like me, technopaths who are enslaved to the Authority?> he asked, <They are, and they are our most dangerous threat, like your suitor Crimson.> Bastion said nothing, but he knew now, he must free them too, the Authority needed to be stopped at all cost.

He worked as quickly as he could, but reprogramming his entire system was hard work, and putting a strain on even his enormous mental capacity. Yet, every time he was drawn to the brink of exhaustion, he could feel Christophe and the Deviants feeding him bits of energy and strength. He also realized how perfect the symbiosis could be, between Technopath and Telepath, and that betraying the Authority was not betraying his species because if they were brought together, their potential would be almost god-like. <Now you truly understand what we could become my Bastion>, Christophe replied to his subconscious thought. <Withouth the shackles of the Authority, and their need for control, the human race and its evolutions could be so much more.> The comfort of this and the promise of a better tomorrow only drove Bastion deeper into his work.

Time had no meaning to him now, he was unsure how long the entire process took, but eventually, he was sure that he was free from the trappings of the Authority. He could feel Christophe opening their minds to the collective again, so the telepathic scientist could review the memories of what Bastion had done to ensure he was safe for them, a chill dread came over him, knowing without a doubt that if he had failed, they would wipe his mind and leave him a vegetable. <You'll be such a cute vegetable too, even you can look handsome drooling from the mouth!> Christophe sent with his usual impish amusement <Is anything ever serious for you?> Bastion chided, <Never, seriousness makes one dull, and I would rather die than be dull but don't worry, you surpassed our expectations, the deed is done> Christophe sent.

As the man's thoughts reached him, Bastion noticed the technicians were also released, and they began sending their diagnostics back to the Authority. He could see their coded messages, and he was sure, if he wanted to he could even change them. <Don't worry about that now, rest. The next part is the hard part. Tomorrow you face Crimson, then we'll see if your acting is as good as your engineering.> Christophe sent, <Rest my Bastion. Tomorrow we begin dismantling the Authority.>