xxi. christmas

1995
12 Grimmauld Place
London

Months of torture endured at Hogwarts but everyone was cheery

Months of torture endured at Hogwarts but everyone was cheery. Why wouldn't they be? It was Christmas day. Despite this, there was an uneasiness in the air. Mr. Weasley was still bandaged and in a wheelchair. The attack was unprecedented. If it weren't for Harry, no one would have known. Hope was thankful for her cousin but Harry didn't see it that way. He blamed himself for the attack.

Mrs. Weasley made Hope an adorable maroon beanie with a wool puff ball. Hope always loved Mrs. Weasley's gifts. She appreciated the effort put into them and the love. She knew Mrs. Weasley viewed all of the kids as her own. They'd always have a home.

Hope looked to her mother as she showed off the homemade gift, her mother nodded with a soft smile as she held her own beautiful scarf. Harry stood closer to Sirius who watched the scene from the entryway.

"To Mr. Harry Potter..." Mr. Weasley began the toast. "Without whom, I would not be here."

A silence fell over the room. Hope's eyes bore into Harry's as Harry gulped nervously.

"Harry." Everyone said as they toasted and drank from their cup minus Harry himself.

~

"Nasty brats, standing there bold as brass." Kreacher muttered lowly to Harry and Hope who'd been looking at the family tree. "Harry Potter- the boy who stopped the Dark Lord, friend of Mudbloods. Hope Black- an absolute disgrace to the Black name. If my mistress-"

"Kreacher! That's enough of your bile. Away with you!" Sirius exclaimed from the stairs.

"Of course, Master." Kreacher sulked. "Kreacher lives to serve the noble house of Black."

"Sorry about that. He never was very pleasant, even when I was a boy. Not to me, anyway." Sirius stated softly.

"Wait, dad, this is where you grew up?" Hope questioned with a hint of surprise in her voice. He never told her. She could only assume it was because he didn't necessarily feel fond of his childhood.

"This is my parents' house. I offered it to Dumbledore as headquarters for the Order. About the only useful thing I've been able to do."

"Dad..." Hope began but faltered. She could see the look in her father's eyes. He felt utterly useless to the Order. Harry stared longingly at the tapestry. "I'd better go make sure the twins are behaving."

With that in mind, Hope was never going to check on the twins. She was in fact going to Hogsmeade to meet a platinum haired boy in private. She knew Fred and George would always cover for her. Plus, she wouldn't be gone long.

Hogsmeade

She saw Draco sitting poised beneath a tree. He'd never looked so handsome. He wore all black and had a small gift in his hand. Hope looked down at her own gift. She silently prayed to Merlin that he'd like it. She didn't have the money to even get him an enchanted gift right now. All she could afford was a silver ring with a thick band that had an inscription on the inside. The inscription was something she'd always known but could never say. Not aloud. She was terrified.

Hope took in a deep breath and let it out, allowing the cold air to resonate on her skin.

"Romeo." She breathed, catching Draco's attention immediately. A gentle smile spread across his face. He rose to his feet to meet her halfway.

"Birdie." He whispered lowly. He instinctively wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer. Their lips touched gently, barely even touching but filled with so much passion.

"Want to trade?" Hope asked after pulling from the kiss. Draco nodded, a sly smile resting on his pink lips.

"You first." He murmured, still grinning. Hope took in a deep breath and tore into the green wrapping paper, not so gracefully.

Inside was a small box that held a dainty silver bracelet with the letter M on it. Hope smiled softly as Draco took the jewelry and latched the clasp around Hope's left wrist.

"I love it, Romeo. It's perfect." Hope grinned as her heart fluttered. A small part of her felt guilty that he always spent so much money on her. Not that he didn't have it, but it still mad her feel bad.

As Draco ripped into his gift, Hope's heart dropped. She begged he'd like it. That he'd say it back. That she wouldn't feel like an absolute moron for being honest.

As he took out the ring, he furrowed his brows, trying to read the inscription. Hope watched him like a hawk trying to read his expression but his face had gone slack.

Hope choked on a sob. She'd just told him she loved him but he said nothing.

His eyes traveled to her, he opened his mouth, and nothing came out. No words.

He couldn't say it back.

a/n-
i've missed writing! hope you guys like the chapter.