Chapter Four: Training

A/N: I'm back!  Thanks for all of the votes and comments and views!

CHAPTER FOUR:

            At the end of breakfast, five days after Ren’s initial announcement, Ren comes back in.  Without having to say a single word, everyone silences themselves.

            “After watching all of you during training, I have narrowed down my decisions for the eight Elementals that will go on the quest.  I referred to the King, and we have already settled on the male and female Sylphs.”  Across the room, where most of the Sylphs eat, many of them wait intently to see if they may be the person who will help save their entire race.  “Tierney Hader.”  When the first name is announced, most of the boys actually looked relieved.  Including the boy that stands up.

            “Thank you, so much,” he articulates, flustered.  Tierney Hader already looks like he would be a good candidate for the position; he’s strong, confident, and looks about eighteen, though less obviously, or else he wouldn’t be here.

            “And Cataline Ferris,” announces Ren.  The girl that stands up looks significantly less confident, and even requires assistance with the act of standing.  I guess she’s really freaking good at controlling her element.  “I will consult with the King to make more choices later.”  Ren dismisses us.  He walks back to the back of the castle, presumably to talk to the King, leaving Avani, Reed, Douglas, and I to join the others in whatever they’re doing.  He never really gave any further instruction.

            As I leave with everyone else, Aiden and Zia talk about who they think will be chosen.

            “I kinda think it’ll be Maxwell, as and Undine,” Aiden says, “or Beck, on second thought.”

            “Yeah, definitely one of them,” Zia agrees.  “And I think Malachy, too.”

            “Probably.”

            “Hey guys, no clue who you’re talking about, but I’d just like to say that I’m pretty sure I’ll be chosen as well,” I add.  Before Aiden or Zia can agree with me, a passing Sylph boy chuckles at my comment.  He also just happens to be with Tierney, who just grins.

            “Exactly.”  Zia motions to them.  Aiden nods, smirking.

            “You all shall see my greatness later,” I proclaim rather loudly.

            “You might wanna shut up now,” Zia states.

            “So where are you going?” I ask.

            “Just training,” Aiden answers, “and no, you can’t come.”

            “Why not?!”

            “Well, mostly because you can’t even harness your element.”  Even though he doesn’t mean to say it loudly, multiple Elementals hear and laugh.

            “Well, then I’ll just have to learn,” I decide.

            “You’re gonna need someone older to help you with that,” Zia tells me as we exit the castle and find ourselves outside.  “We can’t really explain.”

            “Then maybe I can,” interjects, to my great surprise, Tierney.

            “Umm…  Okay,” I affirm, tremendously confused.  I look over at Zia and Aiden, who both shrug and walk away to do whatever they’re gonna do.  I guess Tierney is able to comprehend my immense awesomeness and doesn’t think I should be left in the dust.  That seems right.