{[CHAPTER 6]}

We got home late that cycle. Alvis met us at the door. Even he had been worried when we didn't show up for quite a while. I went to call Paige but Boxer insisted that he do it, he would explain to Paige. I should get some rest, he said. 

"You had a taxing experience...just take a break and clear your head, ok?" He said, smiling a little. 

"...Alright." I headed off to my room, but once I shut the door I just burst into tears. I couldn't help it. Ferzex had been my friend, and seeing him like that...I knew that one day they would catch him,  one day they would derezz him. All for being on the wrong side. I tried to get him to join me, but he wouldn't come to the safe side. I didn't really agree with Tesler, but causing trouble would just get me killed. And look where keeping my mouth shut landed me - a good government job I would be exalted for. Meanwhile, Ferz was hiding out somewhere, with a death sentence over his head. He could never be in one place for too long. Never stop to pause or catch his breath. Another Renegade, forever on the run. 

I had calmed down a little after my outburst of tears, and was sniffling and wiping my eyes when the knock at the door came. I opened it after a second to find Paige. What surprised me was, she didn't look like her usual in - command self - she looked sympathetic. Sad, even. 

"Hey. I heard about what happened from Boxer." Her voice was gentle, the hard, focused edge that usually ringed her voice gone. 

I only nodded, and wiped my eyes again. 

"It's ok to be upset. To think that someone you care deeply about, going to the other side..." She looked down then looked back up. "It's a hard feeling to get over. I know...it's happened to me before."

"Really? If I may...can I ask what happened?" I let her in then shut the door behind us. 

"I met that program, years ago. This was around the time Tesler found me." She looked down. "I worked as a medic, before all this. Helping programs was in my programming. I saw two programs being beaten up by a group of thugs. So I chased the thugs off and gave medical attention to the two. One was close to dying, and the other one was just bruised."

"The healthier of the two introduced herself as Quorra, and her friend as Ada. They said they had been Basic programs that had escaped from a city destroyed by ISO's."

"ISO's.." I shivered. The programs who were so different...and dangerous. 

"I know." Paige looked down and continued. "We got to know each other very well. Quorra even complimented me on my music skills - I used to do a lot of music." She smiled when she saw my surprised expression. "She said it was impressive, considering it wasn't in my programming. She said I could do anything if I put my mind to it."

Then her smile faded. "That happy friendship changed one day. Quorra was showing me a defensive move, when...her sleeve slipped. There, on her forearm...the mark of the ISO." She sighed and looked down. "She begged me not to tell. I mean, I was preparing to, but...someone else guessed their identity before me and, well..." She sighed. "I went to stop them from escaping. She knocked me out. When I came to, Telser was helping me stand. That's when I noticed the destruction." She shivered. "Destruction Tesler said Ada and Quorra wreaked when they were getting away."

My eyes went wide. "They were on the wrong side all along..."

Paige nodded. "He offered me a job, saying that I could help him. I accepted. And now...I'm here." She looked back at me, her eyes were a little wet. "And now you know...I feel the same as you do." She looked out the window, at the lights of Argon City. "Unlike Quorra and Ada, though...your friend has a chance of redemption."

A spark of hope. "Really?"

She nodded. "I can intercede when he's captured, volunteer him for reconditioning. If he completes the reconditioning he can be pardoned and released without being derezzed. He can even join up with us, if he has the skills." She smiled a little at me. "I might not have been able to save Quorra, but...I can save your friend."

I smiled, tears welling in my eyes again. They were happy this time. "Thank you...Thank you, Ma'am."

She smiled then became serious again. "But remember, if he is derezzed before he is captured I can't do anything. Aim for capture."

"We'd do that anyway, he's allied with the Renegade. He told me. He can be questioned, if caught."

She nodded, smiling again. "We'll put out a Wanted notice - tell the public to watch for him. When he's caught, maybe he'll see sense." 

"Maybe." I said.

"In the meantime, keep up trying to locate the Renegade. It's what I hired you for, anyway."

I nodded. "I understand. I won't let you down."

She stood up, smiling a little. "Well, let's go. Tell the others and create that wanted notice, Alright? Arrosa...I believe in you."

I smiled and nodded, then stood up. "Thank you..." Then I went out to the Base, to get this started. 

Boxer looked up when I entered, and smiled gently. "Hey, Rose. You feeling better?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Paige and I talked, and for this Renegade sympathizer, we're deciding on capture. He might have valuable information that we need. And also, we need to get a Wanted notice out there, I can make that - "

Alvis cut me off. "Are you sure that this is purely because you want to help in the capture of the Renegade and not because this sympathizer was a friend of yours?"

I frowned. "Hey, that's not fair. I'm really thinking about the greater good, you know."

Boxer frowned as well. "Not cool, Al. She's really trying to help our cause, don't make it worse by rubbing salt into that particular wound."

Alvis rolled his eyes. "I'm sure. I've seen this before - emotion getting in the way of duty. That never ends well for anyone."

At this Boxer stood up, facing Alvis. "Stop it, this isn't her way of trying to get her friend back! She's truly dedicated to the cause." He turned to me. "Right, Rose?"

I nodded, after a second. "Of course. Everything I do here is for the greater glory of Tesler and CLU."

Alvis just rolled his eyes. "If you say so. I'm going to retreat to my room for the rest of the cycle - I need to figure out some things. In private."

I looked down as he walked out. Boxer walked over to me and put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry about it. You're doing the right thing. If Commander Paige said it was a good idea, you don't have to listen to that stiff Alvis complain about it." He leaned in close. "Honestly, I think he's jealous."

"Jealous? Why "

"Rose, are you seriously blind?" He chuckled. "The very first plan you ever made was approved, you remember? For that rally tomorrow. He had never had a plan of his go through that quickly. And the fact that Paige talked to you personally about that friend of hers...she was never that close to him. That she confides in you so easily..." he smiled a bit. "It makes him jealous. In his calculating mind, he should receive that praise because he was here first."

"I never...I didn't..."

"Rose, you're so modest." He laughed. "Take some credit already." Then he grew serious.  "But...sorry about your friend, and Alvis..."

"Boxer...thanks. None of this is your fault. Let's...just focus on the rally tomorrow,  ok?"

He smiled softly and patted my shoulder. "Ok, Rose." He walked toward his room. Before he disappeared he turned to me and smiled. "I just know you'll be the mastermind to finally stop the Renegade.'

I looked down a bit and nodded. "Thanks...goodnight, Boxer."

He nodded and went into his room.

I sat down in front of the window, watching the sky.

I never felt so torn about something I wanted so much.