Chapter 20

(Akame Raba)

I couldn't help but laugh when the grown man shrieked at the spider being thrown at him. I didn't want to be here with these stupid loan sharks. I wanted to be beating up the men who caused my father's death. My dad was all I really had left. He's the only person who supported me, who constantly believed in me and he was gone. He had convinced me to come to San Fransokyo, if he hadn't I would have never met my friends. But if I hadn't come he would still be alive. If I had done as Black Tree asked, he would be alive.

Truth be told I wanted to curl up into a ball and just cry, but my father wouldn't want that.

"Akame, you okay?" Lynx whispered.

"I think you should have used those spiders to see if anyone was here before we came in," I stated ignoring her question.

"Listen, just give us the black hole machine and no one gets hurt," Lynx announced.

"And why would we do that?" the head loan shark asked.

"Because if you don't you get to deal with my spiders and a very upset hero," Lynx replied.

"Ross, I don't do bugs," one of the men commented.

"Shut up! You're not getting a hold of that machine," Ross, the head loan shark, snapped.

"Oh really? Because I wouldn't want to stand in between her and her revenge," Lynx said as she pointed at me. I pulled out my sword and changed it into a scythe. We had to stall long enough for the others to evacuate the Abandoned Sector.

"Give us the machine, I'm not in the mood to mess around today," I warned.

"And we're not in the business to bow down to two little girls' demands," Ross replied. I watched as he looked to his left and then to his right and his men met his gaze. Ross nodded and they shouted and jumped down as he ran off. Coward, can't even fight his own fights, I thought before I changed the scythe into a staff.

"Ready?" Lynx asked me as the men grew closer to us. I nodded, when the men got close enough I swung that staff hitting one of them in the stomach pushing him and those behind him back. I wasn't about to use something that could easily kill them. They were bad people, but they didn't deserve to die. I decided to reserve that judgment for the leaders of Black Tree. I glanced at Lynx who was letting her spider spies to do most of the work, but as soon as someone came close enough to her, she would fight them. I didn't let anyone get closer than two feet from me, which was easy as I generally would just swing the staff around knocking around anyone who was unfortunate enough to be in range. It went on like this for about ten minutes and soon every man was knocked out and lying on the ground.

"Not bad," Lynx commented looking at a pile of men around me.

"You too," I replied.

"Now let's get this machine," she stated and I nodded. I heard footsteps and looked to see where they were coming from. I saw Ross. I ran over to him, grabbed him, and pushed him against the wall. With my free hand I put my sword to his neck.

"Dang, you're fast," Lynx said as she got over to us. "So Ross, where's the black hole machine?"

"I don't know," he replied.

"Now Ross, now isn't the time to lie. My friend is rather impatient at the moment," she stated. "Just tell us where the machine is and you don't get hurt."

"We don't have one!" he shouted.

"Yes, you do. You had me make the remote," Lynx argued.

"It was never a black hole machine, it's a gravity one," he said. He really was weak. He was giving the information up so easily.

"What does it do?" I asked.

"Get rid of gravity or increase it," he replied quickly. It made more sense. Changing gravity was easier than creating a black hole, you didn't need a super genius to build a gravity machine, but you sure as hell needed one to build a black hole one. That was why they only needed Lynx for the remote.

However this machine could still do damage. Having no gravity could make someone float into space if they're not inside. Having too much gravity could bring anything crushing into the ground. Maybe an entire city if the radius was large enough.

"This changes things," Lynx commented. I could tell she was thinking, most likely of the same things I was.

"Does it have to? We know it's not a black hole machine, he knows it's not a black hole machine, they don't know it's not a black hole machine," I pointed out.

She smiled and shook her head. "Okay, then where's the gravity machine?"