CHAPTER FOURTEEN

-•NATHAN•-

It was early in the morning and I was buried in paperwork. I felt like a middle aged man who was a slave at his job, who took orders from his portly boss and came home with no energy to give to his wife and kids. I didn't sleep the night before. My meeting with the Tyrants yesterday made me anxious.

Apparently, according to their spies, there's an unidentified gang roaming our area. They think that the K Blades are affiliated with this unidentifiable gang. I didn't doubt it.

I ran an exasperated hand through my hair as I looked through a couple of pictures of this mysterious gang. I didn't recognize any of them and it frustrated the hell out of me.

Who the fuck were these people?

A knock sounded at the door and my head shot up.

"Come in," I grunted.

The door swung open and Red waltzed in, sitting down in a chair.

"What the hell are you doing up this early?," I asked, setting down the file that was in my hand and leaning back in my chair tiredly.

He shrugged. "I could ask you the same thing."

I gave him a pointed look and he smirked.

"I may or may not have just come back from a certain...meeting," he said mischievously.

That was when I noticed the bite marks and hickeys that littered his neck.

I barked out a laugh. "How good was she?," I said, grinning.

He crossed his arms and looked out the window with longing. "So fucking tight, man," he said, almost like he was imaging the girl he was previously with.

I scrunched up my nose. "Didn't ask for that much detail, Red," I said, shaking my head.

He laughed and waved his hand dismissively at me. "I didn't come here to talk about her, I wanted to talk to you about something else."

I arched a brow. "Go on."

He suddenly looked troubled. "It's about Presley," he began. "Yesterday when I picked him up from school, he looked a little bit...off."

I leaned forward. "Was he hurt?," I asked instinctively, ready to bolt out the door to check up on the small boy.

"No, no. Not anything like that, I just feel like the kid needs a break, you know? All he does is school and work for the gang," he said, looking sympathetic. "He's just a kid, maybe he needs some fun."

"What are you suggesting? That I take him to the carnival and buy him candy?," I asked bitterly, tiredness getting the better of me.

"That's not a bad idea, Nate," he said truthfully. "I feel bad for the kid, maybe that's exactly what he needs."

I huffed out a breath, guilt eating at me. As I thought of Presley's big innocent eyes and ridiculously silky caramel locks, I felt my chest give a traitorous ache.
I'd been so focused on keeping him safe and away from everyone else but I never once considered how that might of left Presley feeling.

Maybe Red was right.

"Yeah, well what about the K Blades? It's not safe for him out there," I said stubbornly.

"Dude, what gang member do you know that goes to the carnival?," he scoffed. "No K Blades are going to be hunting him in a crowd full of whining kids and ferris wheel fun. And if they do, he's got you to protect him."