Part 18

(Narrator's POV)

"How is she?" Harry asked as he reached the team who was waiting outside of her hospital room.

"She's stable. The doctor said she'll wake up any time now." Steve said.

"Can I... see her?" Steve only nodded and motioned for Harry to follow.

When they entered the room, Peter was there, just sitting beside her bed. Doing nothing but watching her sleep. Steve just left the two boys alone, knowing they would want to talk in private.

"Have you slept...?" Harry asked, breaking the silence.

"Couple hours here and there." Peter said to his friend, offering him a crooked smile.

"Truth be told, I haven't been able to shut my eyes. Guilt has been consuming me, if it wasn't for me, she wouldn't be here right now."

"Don't do that to yourself Harry, this isn't your fault..."

"I guess it isn't, but it still pains me that she's here for saving me."

"Knowing Y/n, she doesn't regret what she did for you."

"And I would do it a thousand times more if necessary, as long as it meant that you would still be here, alive." She smiled weakly towards Harry.

"Hey..." Both boys said in unison. 

"You won't get rid of me that easily. As cliche as that sounds." She tried to laugh.

Her recovery was a fast one, having enhanced healing and all. It didn't take long before she was back on her feet training and going to school.

At some point though, telling the team that she had decided to only go back to her universe to talk to Flash and May, explaining to them everything. As well as telling them she wouldn't be staying. Being honest with them, and telling them she had no desire of going back, knowing everyone there would be alright.

She had much more here to stay for. A family she never thought she would have. A now boyfriend whom she loved deeply, and one who loved her back just as much, maybe even more.

"Y/n! Oh my god!" Flash exclaimed as she fell out of the portal and into her old lab. "You're alive! I knew it!" He was fast to help her up and hug her.

"Glad you missed me."

"Well, you made it kinda hard not to."

"Look, I need to talk to you and Aunt May. I have very little time left to do so. So come on." She said as she headed put and to Aunt May's place.

Seeing her again was weird, since she had gotten used to the younger version from the other universe. The whole world seemed strange to her now, not being her home anymore.

But so, she explained everything to May and Flash. Being lectured for ending up with a stab wound, but both of them being supportive of her decision. And after a heartfelt goodbye to Aunt May, her and Flash were off to the lab.

Before they got there though, they stopped for ice cream, and caught up with each other's life before they got to their destination.

"So you and MJ? That actually makes sense. Match made in heaven."

"And you and Peter?" He looked at her knowingly.

"This Peter is different... like, very different."

"I'm just glad you're okay, and happy..." He said as they entered the lab.

"Me too. Okay here, I got this phone for you so that we can communicate. It took me some sleepless nights, but it's done, and it lets us FaceTime even from different universes."

"Damn... now this is what I call genius."

"Yeah, I had to make sure we had some kind of contact. I can't just leave and forget you exist." She said as she handed him the phone and got ready to leave, having two more minutes.

"Will you ever visit?" He asked as they hugged.

"Once a year, maybe even more. I'll definitely come for your graduation, or anything important that deems me to be here. Like your wedding, or aunt may..."

"I'm just glad I'll be getting to talk to you with this thing."

"Whatever happens though, just know I'll try my best to come back here as soon as I can. But it's just-"

"You don't want to cause some sort of rift. Yeah I know."

10 more seconds.

"Bye... And don't you dare not call me." And she was gone.

"Wouldn't dream of it..." He smiled as he stood there in her lab, but then decided to clean up the place.

Knowing this wasn't the last time he would step foot in there. Soon enough she arrived back with the team successfully.

The next day, Steve had planned something for her. Having had it ready for quite some time, yet waiting for the right moment to do so.

"Kiddo's you ready for your driving lesson?" Steve called out to Y/n and Peter.

"Yeah!"

"You know what I'm not feeling so good... I think i'll just stay here today..." Peter said, Y/n's smile falling.

"What- I'm staying too then."

"No!"

"Yes! I know you really want to get your driver's license, and with one time I don't go you'll be okay."

"Fine..." She agreed then kissed him goodbye.

The lesson went by quite fast, Y/n already having mastered everything. Only waiting to take the test. When they finished the lesson and they got to the garage at the tower, Steve handed Y/n a file.

"Is it a mission? You guys finally agreed that I am more than capable of going on missions huh?"

"Just open it."

"Jesus okay-" A tear escaped her eye as she read the file.

Soon turning to him and wrapping him in a hug. Staining Steve with her happy tears as some escaped him as well.

"So, will you?"

"I would love to be your daughter! Y/n Rogers has a nice ring to it." Soon they were back up at the tower, being surprised with a small party by the team.

"You liar." She turned to Peter, who only shrugged.

"But you love me." He smiled as she reached him and he wrapped her in a hug.

"That I unfortunately do..." She sighed, happiness and joy completely filling her heart.

As she looked around, she felt it. The feeling of home. Because home doesn't have to be a place. It can be people. People whom we love and care for, just like she does them.

"Bro what?!" Flash squealed through the phone, causing Steve and Peter to laugh as they washed the dishes.

"I know!! That's what I said!"

"Wow though... I'm happy you finally have what you always wanted." He beamed.

"Me too. And it's actually more than I ever wanted..." She smiled towards Peter and Steve, her heart filling at the sight.

Maybe, just maybe, everyone does have a happy ending. Even if it comes a bit late, it comes at some point, eventually.