p r o l o g u e

Richelle taps her foot on the cement footpath impatiently as she waits outside the Erlicks front door. She sighs in annoyance and knocks on the door once again.

Seriously when will they answer??

She carefully peels the tea towel slightly away from the top of her freshly baked apple pie, checking if it's still in tack. She's smiles to herself, proud that she finally mastered her Mums recipe. She made the pie especially for Noah after finding out that he had broken up with Amanda shortly after regionals.

Richelle and Noah hadnt been as close this dance season like in previous years but she was still there for him and hoped they would become good friends again with Emily taking over as studio head from Riley.

She bites her lip anxiously as she awaits for  someone to answer the door. At this point the pie feels as though its burning into her skin so shes begging for someone to open the door so she can quickly pass it off.

After waiting another minute Richelles lip is red raw and a small crack has opened on her bottom lip, blood slowly trickling out that she soon wipes away.

She lets out a frustrated grown after waiting a good five minutes at the door but nobody has answered. She was pretty sure Noah would be home, it was a Saturday afternoon after all and he was usually tuning his guitar, playing video games with Henry or working out which was become a new hobby for him in the past year, no that she was complaining though.

Come on Noah, answer!!

After what feels like forever Richelle let's out a frustrated groan and a signature eye roll. She turns on her heal back across the road when the click of a door handle alerts her to turn back around.

"Noah, hi! You took forever to answer the door!" She says letting out a small laugh.

Noah, who's hair is slightly wet and combed through with his fingers, stands at the door, his body language showing he's uncomfortable and a nervous look across his face.

Richelle can't help but feel a bit giddy and blush slightly at how good her Best Friend looks. He must have been working on his physique even more over the Winter as his body has filled out a bit more. And with his hair wet and combed like that she can't help but drool a little, no girl can.

"I made you a pie! I thought after your breakup with Amanda that you would want some company so i made this for you." She says trying to sound cheerful, obviously realising Noah's lack of excitement so see his so called best friend.

Richelles bites her gnaws at her lip again, confused at Noah's lack of a response. Maybe he was offended by what she said about breaking up with Amanda? Maybe he still isn't over her?

"I know we haven't been super close this year but i still want to be friends Noah.., best friends." Richelle says breaking the silence in hope it will achieve something.

The blondes gut twists and turns with nerves jittering around as she waits for Noah to answer. Noah's face turns away from her, breaking the eye contact for a moment. He squeezes his eyes shut and rubs his fingers over his temples in an attempt to relax himself.

He finally looks back at Richelle with pain inflicted in his eyes. From an outsider it may look like Noah is completely fine but Richelle knows Noah too well. Something is up.

"Richelle..." he croaks out, tears threatening to spill down his cheeks. "I...i think you have to go home. We can't be seen together again." He spits out as he tries to blink away the distraught look in his eyes. His Adam's apple bobs as he holds his breathe trying to force his emotions back.

Richelles muscles goes weak at the words that she almost drops the pie. Her legs feel as though they are about to collapse from underneath her at any moment. Why would Noah say that? Did she do something wrong? Is she not friendly enough?

"W.. what why?" She asks with an upset but slightly angry tone coming through in her voice. Her breathing becomes heavier and faster as the anxiously hits the climax. Her eyes become too full with tears that they burst, cascading down her cool cheeks on a icy Toronto winters day.

Why would he say such a thing to her? How could he throw away years worth of friendship? Richelle had always thought they would still be there for each other even if they weren't talking to each other every day like they were when they were 15. Even just a text to see how she was would warm her heart.

Richelles shakes her head in disbelief as she wipes her nose on her coats sleeve. She doesn't even care that it's something she would call 'totally gross' and would never do.

"Here's your pie Noah, have a good life." she says bitterly as she shoves the warm glass onto Noah. But his reflexes seem to have deteriorated since Internationals because as soon as Richelle runs off back across the street to her house she hears the defining smash of glass hit the tiled floor.

The petite,  and now broken blonde sprints for her house across the road for her life. The ends of her just below wavy blonde hair sticks out of her peach coloured beanie as it flaps in the slight breeze.

The cool air makes her hot tears stick to her face almost immediately and when she gets to her doorstep she quickly wipes them away.

Then she collapses onto the rock hard cement at her front step in defeat. In a way her and Noah were starting to drift but he still, and will always have a piece of her heart.