i. "god, you got dorkier"

d o r o t h y

"trav!"

my footsteps echoed against the airport tile as i ran into a familiar embrace.

my feet lifted from the ground as my best friend leaned back, arms tight around my shoulders.

"duckie!" i took a deep breath, the smell of his hoodie comforting me instantly.

"i missed you!" he said, smiling down at me as we separated.

it's been tough trying to get together ever since travis moved to california. i love him and i'm proud of him, but it sucks not having him around.

"god, you got dorkier," i noted the sign he'd made for me.

D O R O T H Y
J U L E S
" D U C K I E "
W A L L A C E

my full name was written out on a piece of cardboard, surrounded by doodles of hearts and stars and flowers.

"hey!" his voice cracked. "i worked really hard on that!" i saw his cheeks flush and pulled him in for another hug.

his arms wrapped around my back and i held my head to his chest, mumbling another "i missed you."

"i missed you, too." we stayed together for another moment before travis spoke.

"let's go grab your suitcase from the..." he paused, thinking. "the merry-go-round thingy, cooper's waiting in the car!"

oh, yeah.
cooper.
travis' other best friend.

i know i should be happy for him, and that he's having fun and meeting new people. but i can't help it.

he'll tell me about his day, and how he and cooper just dicked around, and this awful, angry, jealous feeling just creeps up inside of me.

he's content with his life without me.

i know that's dramatic, and i tell myself that all the time. my therapist tells me that, too.

she says, "duck, you've been attatched at the hip since you were eight. he loves you just as much as you love him."

and i want, so badly, to believe her, but the feeling hasn't changed.

i felt a tug at my hand.

"earth to duckie," travis teased. "what's your suitcase look like?"

"oh, sorry." i gave a half-hearted laugh, "it's the black one with the pink tags. sorry, i'm super tired."

he walked over to where my bag was slowly moving along the line and lifted it effortlessly, dragging it behind him.

"thanks, trav," my hand was swatted away as i reached to grab the suitcase.

"i got it, i'm a gentleman!" he began to lead me towards the car.

i laughed, "yeah, okay, sure. whatever you say."

we walked through the sliding airport doors and were immediately met with the LA heat.