V - The Shadow King

Victoria woke to the sound of rain on the roof, the steady set-in kind. It was stifling beneath the covers, she tried rolling, to stretch out and kick them off but there was something else still wrapped around her, something much softer and nicer than than the doona. It was dark in the room and yet Cam's wings were darker. She felt usually well-rested and suddenly relived when her hands found the fold of his wings.

It had all been real - Cam was real. Not some wonderful, drug-induce dream.

Her eyes had adjusted to the dark, she could make out the line of his jaw, of his messy mop of hair that sprawled against the pillow. She could see his lips, the outline of a smile upon them. Her gaze trailed downwards, skimming over his jaw, down his neck. In the lowlight she could make out the groove of his collar bone, it was bare. Sometime during the night Cam had taken his shirt off. Victoria sat up, Cam's head tilted to follow her. Neither of them spoke as she raked her eyes across his body. It was difficult to make it all out in the dark like this but some features were unmistakable.

She'd studied something like this in History class, Cam was halfway between Michelangelo's David and and Glycon's Hercules. Only, the bulge straining in his jeans was much larger than either statue. Victoria could almost picture Cam standing patiently while some tortured artist carved his likeness from a large slab of marble. She knew that he'd feel like smooth, hard stone beneath her hand. Fortunately, he was more than just a work of art. He was living, breathing, speaking.

"Careful. . ." For a boy who couldn't sleep, his voice sounded tired, deep. Victoria enjoyed a breathless moment in the wake of it all, drinking in the sights.

"I'm going to turn on the light."

"No. Don't do that."

"But I-"

"You don't know where it is I'll. . ." Cam rolled onto his back then snapped his fingers. The fluorescent light began humming overhead, bathing the room in a white glow. Victoria opened her mouth but no words came out. It was too early in the morning to be blushing quite so deep, but that didn't stop her. She was devouring him with her eyes, unashamedly. Not that he seemed to mind, Cam was grinning like an idiot. Not just any grin either - A knowing one. One that made it clear he was expecting this kind of reaction - Which only made Victoria want him more. It was hard to know where to look, each part of his bare chest seemed more magnificent than the last. It was a battle between the small slip of hair that led down below the waistband of his jeans and his eyes that blazed at her adoringly. Desire pooled in her stomach, she was opening her mouth to speak but Cam beat her to it.

"You can't keep looking at me like that."

"Like what?" Victoria gave her lashes an innocent flutter, her gaze slowly dipping lower, back to the strain in his jeans.

"Don't play coy with me, Darling. We'll end up in trouble." His voice was stern, sending Victoria's eyes racing back to his, her heart hammering wildly.

"Still obedient as ever." He praised. Victoria pressed her legs together and took a deep breath. This man was going to be the death of her. His hand found her thigh, resting just above her knee. He gave it a gentle squeeze, his touch was wonderfully warm.

"Did you sleep okay?" Victoria managed a nod. For the first time in her life she'd slept like a log. Cam was rolling his shoulders and stretching his arms out, taking his wings with them. There was an almighty crack, like the kind from a plastic water bottle. Cam looked mortified.

"Was that. . ."

"I'm old, okay?"

"No returns on the wings." Victoria teased, Cam was back to grinning now, curling a wing in the process.