EIGHTEEN: Mouthbreather

Six friends rode their way to school

Six friends rode their way to school. Bev was seated on the back of Mike's bike while Eleven sat behind Lily, with her arms securely wrapped around Lily's waist, enjoying the scenic view. The group eventually reached school. 

"Remember if anyone sees us look sad," Mike instructed as they made their way through the hallway. All of them acknowledged his request, Eleven holding onto Lily's hand tightly as her eyes probed the new area.

Upon arriving at the AV room, Mike approached the door and attempted to open it by turning the knob. The dark-haired boy let out a soft grunt as he rammed his body into the locked door but still did not budge. "It's locked."

Beverly removed a bobby pin from her hair bun and handed it to Lily. Lily released Eleven's hand and crouched down to use the bobby pin to pick the lock of the door. This was not their first attempt at this task. Lily focused intently on the lock, even sticking out her tongue in concentration.

"Kids?"

With a sudden burst of excitement, Lily exclaimed, "I got it!" and eagerly swung the door open. As she approached Eleven, she couldn't help but feel a bit self-conscious as she noticed Mr. Clarke's gaze fixated on her. In an attempt to ease her nerves, Lily let out a small, nervous laugh.

"Um. Assembly's about to start"

"We know we're just" Mike retorted dejectedly in a hushed tone as his eyes dropped to the floor suppressed with false sadness as his body gently swayed side to side and pursed his lips.

"Upset" Lucas interrupted, expressing his distress, and the others nodded in agreement. "We just need time to mourn. By ourselves" Lily added, a deep frown pulling on her lips as her tone added of course.

 "I get it. I know how hard it is, but we have to just be there for Will and Eddie, huh?" Mr. Clarke addressed the group, acknowledging the difficulty of the situation and encouraging them to support Will and Eddie. All except Eleven nodded in agreement. As Lily closed the door that she had opened, she looked deeply upset.

Damn it I just opened that door

"Upon giving the keys to Mike, the gentleman cordially remarked, "You have full access to the health kit for the remainder of the day." A broad smile spread across Mike's face, signaling his appreciation.

 As the older man turned his attention towards Eleven, they locked eyes briefly before he extended his hand and introduced himself, politely inquiring, "I don't believe we've met. What's your name?"

"Ele-"

"Eleanor! She's my um" Mike struggled to complete his sentence, his speech interrupted by a stutter that betrayed his nervousness. "Cousin!" Lucas quickly added, noticing the desperate expression on his face.  "second cousin," Dustin chimed in, holding up two fingers.

"Ex-extremely distant" Bev stuttered as Lily smiled at her and nodded vigorously in agreement. "She's here for Will and Eddie's funeral," The bubbly girl continued to the fabricated story. Unlike her comrades, Lily remained calm, which was unusual for these kinds of circumstances.