Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Fern was surprised that Aden and her father had gotten along. They were laughing, talking and just being nice. Fern could tell that Aden brought out the positive side of her father, and it absolutely thrilled her. Jay and Aden also got to know each other better. She could tell that Aden wasn't too keen becoming friends with Jay, but he tolerated it, which Fern saw as a great start. Fern couldn't be happier as she watched her two favorite guys debating as to whether to watch Nightmare Before Christmas or Frosty the Snowman.

“I say we watch Nightmare Before Christmas since it IS Christmas Eve!” Aden defended, already standing up and walking towards the television to put in the movie. Jay groaned and grabbed Aden's shoulder spinning him around so that they were face to face.

“But Frosty the Snowman is such a classic.” Jay countered calmly, holding up the movie and flashing a smile.

“No. That movie's boring.” Aden replied stubbornly. Fern laughed, she knew that Aden was stubborn and wanted things to go his way, otherwise he just got grumpy. Jay rolled his eyes, and before she knew it they started to get into a heated argument.

“Boys.” Fern called, but they didn't hear her still too into their argument. “Boys!” She tried again, still no recognition. “BOYS!” She hollered, finally catching the two boys attention, both wearing angry expressions. “Why don't we just watch both?” Fern suggested, a hopeful smile on her face, her eyes begging to stop with their bickering and to watch a movie. Jay and Aden looked at each other, shrugged, then looked back towards Fern.

“Which one do you want to watch first?” Jay asked politely, his accent strong, causing Fern to smile. She loved his accent, it was so different compared to anyone's here.

“Pick the better one first.” Aden broke in, raising his eyebrows and mouthing “me”, while simultaneously pointing from him to the movie he was holding, a cheesy smile on his face. Jay shoved Aden slightly, telling him to stop, but did Aden listen? No. Aden just shoved Jay right back.

“Let's watch Aden's first, that way I won't go to bed scared.” Fern decided, Aden wearing a huge grin and confidently striding over and putting the movie in, Jay walking over to the couch, a frown on his face. Fern giggles and she pats the seat next to her. Jay sits down and while Fern proceeded to hug him around the torso in comfort. Aden turns and his focus falling on the scene in front of him, his grin disappearing. He walks over while sitting at Fern's feet. She can tell that his body was tense by the way he was sitting. The movie started and Fern let go of Jay. She started to play with Aden's hair and she smiled as she saw his shoulders relax and the tension in the air leave. She never understood why Aden got strange when he saw Fern and Jay hugging or laughing. She assumed because Aden was very protective of her and he didn't seem to be too fond of Jay when they met, for reasons she still doesn't know. Fern screamed as the ghosts danced and sang around merrily, but in a creepy manner. She shoved her face into Jay's chest as she squeezed her eyes tight, clinging to his shirt so desperately she thought his shirt was going to rip in her hands. Jay chuckled as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders, rubbing her arm in an attempt to comfort her.

“You're the biggest scaredy cat I've ever known. This movie isn't scary what so ever.” Aden laughed. Fern glanced up quickly to see the humor sparkling in Aden's eyes. Fern then moved her focus back over to the movie where she squealed and shoved her face right back into Jay's chest. She spent the rest of the time glancing at the movie, screaming, then burrowing back into the protection of Jay's arms. The movie was finally over and she let out a huge sigh of relief.

“Finally, that was terrible.” Fern exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air. Aden started laughing his loud laugh, and soon Fern joined along, unable to resist.