Just show me a proof

CHAPTER SEVEN

RUBY

"I am pregnant."I stared at her in shock at the words she said.

"What did you just say?"Alex asked her. He looked shocked as if he didn't expect something like this.

"I said I'm pregnant Alex." Chioma stated once again.

Wow! Pregnant.

"For who?" Alex asked.

"For you of course, who else Alex." Geez! I never knew the two of them were an item. So this was the girlfriend he said he broke up with. The one he claimed he loved. And now she's pregnant.

Great, Just great. The pain of eight years ago came rushing back. Maybe fate doesn't want us to be together.

"I'm coming Ruby, let me settle this. I'm sure it's a misunderstanding." Alex said trying to assure  me while  going out of the restaurant with Chioma. It seems they want to talk. Our second date is now destroyed.

I don't think I can wait while Alex is probably making up with his pregnant girlfriend. Who will I be to him when he gets back. The mistress? No way! I took my bag which was sitting patiently beside me, got up and left the restaurant because I don't want to know what they talked about. It's officially over between us, A relationship that hasn't even started. It hurts though but nothing can be reversed. When I finally think things will finally be better between us, Chioma came and took him away from me for the second time. My hatred for her is doubled.

I didn't bring my car because Alex picked me up from my house and I have little change with me. I just hope it can take me home because I wanna rest.

"Ruby!" I heard someone shout my name. I ignored the voice and kept moving on.

"Ruby!" The person called again. I turned  back to check the person that called me.

James? How is he here? What's he doing just outside the restaurant?

Maybe it's a coincidence. My inner mind reasoned.

"Hi James." I greeted when he got closer.

"Hey you, what are you doing here?" He asked the same question that I was supposed to ask.

"I should ask the same about you. Well I came to see someone."

"Oh! I just wanted to get something for lunch."

" Great, you can go before you get hungry." I try dismissing him because I'm not ready to talk to another male species. They're all jerks.

"Don't worry about that, it seems my hunger varnished the moment I saw you. Where are you headed?"

"Home."

"Let me drive you." He offered.

"Don't bother James. I don't want to burden you."

"I don't mind, I insist please."

"Okay, thanks though." I agree almost immediately because I don't even have the strength to search for a cab that will take me home. I entered the car and he drove.

"So how have you been?" He asked trying to start a conversation.

"I've been fine, you?"

"Busy. Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah."

JAMES

She stayed quiet for the rest of the ride. I wonder why I'm forcing myself on her when clearly she isn't interested. I think she still has a crush on him.
Chioma has a way of making someone to do what he doesn't want to do. We've planned a lot of things to destroy this their supposed marriage. I wouldn't have known if not for Chioma who said she overheard Alex mummering about it while entering his office. Sometimes it's good to be discreet because you don't know who wants to destroy you.

"Stop here. Please."

"Is this your estate?" I asked gushing at how good it looks.

"Yeah."

"Just give me your house number and I'll drive you there."

"Don't bother. I'll walk the rest."

"You sure?"

"Yeah. Thanks again."

"You welcome." She opened the door and came out of the car. I brought out my phone to text Chioma.

Done. I've taken care of her.

Few minutes later a message popped in.

Good.

Satisfied I've done my part, I decided to drive back to my house to have a good day but fate didn't allow me because I almost knocked down a lady.
I rushed out of the car to check if she was alright.

"Are you okay?. Hey! Hey! Are you hearing me?."

"Yes..."

God. She has a beautiful voice like that of an Angel and a beautiful face too.

"Let me take you to the hospital. Please get in the car."

"No, don't worry. I'm okay." She said standing up.

" I insist. Please."

I couldn't resist leaving her here alone and besides I have no place to go today.

"Ok. But once I get checked up I'm leaving."

"No problem ma'am."

I opened the passenger door for her and our hands mistakenly brushed. I felt a different kind of feeling I haven't felt before even when close to Ruby. Instantly I vowed that this Angel will be the mother of my children. I better start working towards it before it's too late.

*
*
*

ALEX

I went back inside the restaurant and searched for Ruby but she wasn't there. She left.

'why won't she leave when you left her alone to talk to Chioma who was her bestfriend in school. You're such a damn fool.'

I sat down on the chair that I was sitted in when things weren't complicated and put my hands on my head.

I'm such a fool. I recalled the conversation I had with Chioma recently.

"How come you're pregnant?" I asked her hoping she would laugh and tell me it was all a prank. But as they say, 'life is strict.'

"Do you really want me to answer that Alex. I'm pregnant and it's your child, period."

But how? How is that even possible? I can't even remember what happened in the hotel room, I practically passed out.

"How am I sure that it is mine Chioma? where is the proof."

"So you need a proof now abi? when you texted me that we should meet in Eko hotel and suite, what do you expect us to do there? Pray?"

"Where's the pregnancy test. Just show me a proof. I need a proof Chioma because you're about to ruin my life!" I shouted.

She cried. What?! She's such a drama queen.

"Alex...my life is also ruined. You've ruined me Alex. You got me pregnant and don't want to take responsibility. What am I going to tell my parent? That I got pregnant and the father of the child is not ready to take responsibility? Alex you better accept this child or am going to abort it. You can't let me take care of it alone when we both made it."

"No... Don't. Don't abort it. I accept it's my child."
Now what am I going to tell I and Ruby's parent? Oh God. Why did I get involved with this little devil. Why? The only hope I had with Ruby is permanently destroyed. I just hoped our parents forgives me.

"You sure?" She asked me smiling.

"Yes."

"Oh Alex. You've made my day, I'm so happy." She rejoiced hugging me. I didn't hug her back. I just stood there like a fool I am. Hopeless. My life sucks!

_______________________________________

Please don't forget to press that little star button below before moving to the next chapter.

I love you all.