CONFIDERE

Kira slowly shut the door of her room and tiptoed to her parents' bedroom. The door was open, and Kira peeked inside, it was empty. She frowned and walked silently down the stairs. The living room was also empty. A sigh of relief escaped her lips, she didn't have to sneak out to avoid her parents. She picked up an apple and saw a note on the dining table.

'Emergency meeting. We still need to talk. Love, Mom and Dad'

"Another emergency meeting?" Kira mumbled. She wondered what it was about. Not that she would ever know, Mark and Carolien would never tell her. At least not after talking and Kira wasn't planning to do that.

Kira took out her phone and saw that Jade had texted her last night. Jade told her the day before that she had to come over to talk. The text said that Kira could come over at two and at the moment it was ten in the morning. Kira hid her phone, threw away the apple and left the living room. She closed the door behind her, stretched her arms and legs, straightened her training clothes. Kira jumped off the porch and started running.

She ran and didn't stop; she had no destination. She passed her school, the cinema, the dinner and the mall in Rose Hills. She ran with her lips in a hard line and her eyebrows frowned, trying so hard not to think, but to just run. She kept running even when she felt her knees trembling and her chest hurting. Kira ran all the way back and let herself fall on the porch and lay on her back for a few minutes. She opened her eyes and looked upon the clear blue sky and looked into the bright sun. She turned her head away, as her eyes could not take the brightness anymore and stared at the moon that was still visible.

The moon.

Eleanor was going to turn tonight, and she wasn't going to be with her. Kira rolled over on her side facing the door, with her back to the world. She lay her head on the hard plaster around her arm and remembered Eleanor turning. The images of Eleanor's bones and muscles moving under her skin would never leave Kira's mind, just like her screams. Kira took a deep breath and convinced herself that being with the pack was the best for Eleanor. She would be surrounded with her own people. People who were like her, who understood her and who could help her. Kira slightly shivered with disgust.

Out of the corner of her eye, Kira saw a shadow behind her, and it grabbed her at her shoulder. Kira turned around and had the guy in her grip. He lay on the steps of the porch while Kira pushed her plastered forearm on his throat.

"Dom?" Kira said baffled.

"Kira," he breathed with big eyes pointing at her arm that was still chocking him.

Kira took her arm back and rubbed her plaster as if it had feeling. She looked up at him and saw a worried face looking back at her. She quickly touched her cheeks and sighed of relief. She hadn't cried. In all the years she and Dominic had been friends, he had never seen her cry.

"Why are you here?" she asked him.

He looked down at her broken arm. "I'm here for you," he said and took her arm. "What happened?"

"I jumped."

Dominic looked at her, he didn't know what she was talking about.

"I jumped the gap at school with Jack."

Dominic was first shocked, but then anger flushed over his face. "He let you jump? He jumped with you?" Dominic asked. "He told me you two hung out yesterday, but of course he left out that little detail."

"I just broke my arm, Dom. I'm okay."

"No, you're not," Dominic said straight forward.

Kira's walls turned into glass and seeing through them wasn't enough for Dominic, so he broke them.