two

maya woke up to the smell of eggs and bacon coming from the kitchen. it had been a week since jahseh has come home and they had gotten into their argument. maya stepped into the small kitchen and watched him flip the scrambled eggs. "good morning," he grinned. maya opened the fridge and grabbed the carton of milk. "what are you doing here, jahseh?" she slammed the door.  "i'm making you breakfast. what's with your fucking attitude?" he glared. she didn't want to start this early in the morning with him but he deserved it. he left her to go fuck his other "girlfriend" for a whole week without text or call just to say he's safe. "how was she? did you make her breakfast?"

"don't start with me. i was trying to be nice. i'm being pretty fucking  cool right now considering what happened so please, not today."

"i don't like eggs and i don't eat pork, jahseh." maya took a glass from the cabinet. "you can feel free to leave it downstairs for the strays. you know how i feel about wasted food."

"you're wasting my food! i didn't go to the supermarket just for you to refuse it, maya."

maya poured the milk and chugged it. "eat it if it bothers you then."  she went into the room and changed into a tank top and bike shorts. devon had texted her the night before asking to go out for breakfast. it had been a while since they saw each other. devon was busy with her job and school.  maya walked out into the living and slid her doc martens on. "where are you going?" jahseh asked.

"out with devon. i'll be back later."

"sit and eat first." he pulled a chair out for her.

"i'm getting breakfast with her, jah." maya opened the door.

"i woke up early to make you breakfast. take stress off your back and you're just going to leave it there to get cold?"

"those eggs were charred dog shit when you started cooking them anyway."

"fine. i don't care." he walked to the couch and picked up his controller. "you'll use me for my money and my place until we're on the streets. then you'll suck some other guy's dick and leave him dry."

"oh god, please.  get over yourself." maya slammed the door.

"so where are we going to eat?" maya asked putting on her seatbelt. "my house.  i don't have time to go out right now. i have to cook meal preps. i'm hoping you're gonna want to help." devon winced. of course, she'd want to help. she rather be anywhere than cooped up in that apartment.  "i'd love to help. we can talk like old times and then maybe do a little shopping later."

"great." devon smiled.

and maybe if she was on her best behaviour, maya was going to convince devon to lend money. she wasn't going to help her make food for the homeless for nothing.

devon quickly demonstrated what to do for maya. "put the beans first, rice, then chicken. that order only. then we have to do veggie meals and drop them off."  maya nodded. "can i use the bathroom for a second?"

maya walked upstairs and shut the door behind her. jahseh had been blowing up her phone for hours.

text me.

you tell me you love me then put me through this?

i need you.

i miss you.