Part 1: Escape

Dick/Robin's POV

I stood, looking back at my prison of 2 years; the island base of the league of shadows. That place brought back memories. Ones of torture, pain and dispair. But I was out now, having escaped, and free in the open air once again. I had almost forgotten what the moon looked like. That reminded me of that night at Cadmus three years ago, the night Wally, Kaldur and I rescued Superboy and he saw the moon for the first time. That was the night we founded 'Young Justice'. It did make me wonder though, about what I would do with my life now. I mean, being a 16 year old person who is officially on record as dead, doesn't really do too well for the CV.

I continued to think about it, as the small fishing boat I had stowed away on brought me closer to shore. I thought about my skills, what I would be useful for, and about what I felt. I couldn't go back to Bruce or the team. Not only did they think I was dead, but it would put them in danger. If only I could get rid of groups like the shadows, then no one would be in danger from them ever again! Wait, that was it! I could spend my time getting rid of the league of shadows, the court of owls, all of them! But I wouldn't be able to do it by myself. I wasn't one of those arrogant idiots who think they were too good to need help, I knew when I was out of my league. But who would help me? I thought about it for a while, glancing down at the moonlight reflecting off the deep blue water. Through the waves, I caught a glimpse of a sunken shipwreck.
'Probably some trying to escape like I have' I thought. That set the cogs in motion in my brain. I needed people who had escaped, people who were willing to help me take down those that had hurt them for the sake of others, so that they wouldn't have to go through it as well. A tightly woven network, all linked through one connection. The need for vengeance.

But I couldn't be Robin anymore. To the world, Robin was dead, and so was Dick Grayson. I would have to be someone new, someone, no one had ever heard of, a strong, bold and brave leader, someone that people would look up to and be proud of. And that someone, would be called Nightwing.

428 words