Chapter 14: Hypothesis

*on the way to Siren Song

"Hey.... You okay?" Maddie asked Robb. "You're so quiet. Something bothering you?"

"I'm just dumbfounded. I didn't know that my long time friend is possibly one of our kind. The information was overwhelming. It didn't quite sinks in."

Robb glanced at her then looks back at the road.

"Now, I know how you've felt that day. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hide myself from you-"

Maddie reached out and gave Robb a light squeeze on his shoulder.

"I understand and already forgave you. You don't have to say sorry about that, everytime."

"I know. I just... It's quite overwhelming. How come I didn't sensed Demi's true nature back then? I mean I had the feeling before but it's so faint! I thought I was just mistaken." Robb exclaimed while his eyes are fixated on the road but Maddie knew his sight was beyond the horizon.

"She's quite interesting. As a human, we have this gut feeling, kind of similar to your kind's instinct, and it's telling me that... that girl is something. I just don't quite know to put it together."

Maddie frowned at Robb when she recalled something.

"Eliza said that there's 'another being' on her. What do you mean by that? Do you felt it too? I mean like Eliza?"

"That's what I'm thinking about at this moment. Yes, I did felt it too. It's a being I never felt before and it's alarming me."

Robb suddenly pulled over the car beside the road, surprising Maddie.

"What?" Maddie asked. She almost bumped her head because of the sudden motion.

"Demi! She's a hybrid of some sort... and it's not a human inside her!" Robb blurted out, eyes fixated at Maddie's dark orbs.

"So, her family-" Maddie was interrupted by Robb.

"No. Her father and her sister are humans! I already met Demi's family, except her deceased mother-"

Maddie got on the same page as Robb, her eyes bulging at what she realized.

"She said that.... her mother provided the information of her rare condition? She did say that, am I right?"

Maddie's heartbeat is increasing every second passed as she lets her mind wanders on the countless possibilities.

"Oh... no. Don't tell me she once used to be a test subject?"