A WORLD IN THE PAST

"A disastrous earthquake in Moscow results in destruction of the Red Square area and about six thousand losses of life," reports the newswoman as I hurriedly put on my coat. I listen intently. I pick up the newspaper lying at my door, scrutinizing the pages frantically for any information of a calamity. In one corner, I find the title 'Volcanic Eruption in Andaman and Nicobar Islands in India' and my scientist brain wriggles in calculations. Just a few days ago, tremors were felt in Albany.

I rush to the bus-stop. In the bus I find the usual hush among the passengers, all eyeing their phones. Looking around I realize that New York is a big city and yet no one bothers to talk to others. I get to my workplace named GeoScience Research Station. Eminent geologists in white coats are nervously pacing up and down with notepads and pens, many of them gathered at the big screen placed in the centre of the big hall.

There's a line graph recording drastic changes in climate at different places of the earth. "Edwin, what is it?" I ask my companion. We're rookie scientists here. "The research station from Germany called up a few minutes ago to inform us about a few unexpected geosynclines there. Also, a storm has been building up the Atlantic as informed by our climatologists in Ireland." All these rapid changes are suspicious.

"All the staff is requested to head to the Conference Room for an emergency conference," resonances Head Scientist Aldrick's voice across the edifice. Everyone disperses at once. As I enter the spacious room I see agitation flickering on everyone's faces. After everyone's settled, we are shown another series of graphs and charts and we take down notes expeditiously as the senior researchers explain the situations. The whole thing is about quick and unexpected movements in tectonic plates and unforeseen changes in the climatic conditions and how they are dangerous to the living.

At the end of the conference, Dr. Aldrick states, "I expect everyone to work on hypothetical explanations on these unforeseen conditions and you'd rather not rely on dubious assumptions. Any theories you come up with are to be reported to the Emergency Team and skepticism is promoted. It's important that we prevent any potential harm to our species and so we must do our very best."

Every scientist starts working immediately and I'm asked to constantly keep them informed on reports by our climatology team and work on relative theories. I start compiling the required files. It's a long day at work. At night, while I'm coming back home I see a strange boy, physically worn out and covered in soot, about 14 years old, maniacally running to every pedestrian in sight and blabbering something. "Get lost, you stupid homeless," shouts a man at him.

My conscience doesn't allow me to turn a blind eye and I go to him. "What is it that you need, boy?" I ask. "L-listen to me c-carefully," he is out of breath, "The end of the world is near." The statement make me flinch. Maybe he just needs help and doesn't know what he's saying. "Come with me. I'll help you."

"Do you believe me?"

"We'll talk about this later. I'm Alex Trot and you are?"

"Griffith."

I wordlessly take him to my house and give him something to eat. "Where are your parents?" I ask. "They died today," he replies. I'm a bit taken aback by this. There are tears in his eyes. "Where have you come from?"

"Chile. What's the date today?" Has this boy really come all the way from Chile?

"13th September." His eyes grow wide and after a long pause he says, "It was 20th September when I left."

"Did you leave Chile last year?"

"No, 20th September 2020."

"I think you're mistaken, Griffith. 20th September 2020 hasn't come yet."