Perilous Potions

I dropped my head to my pillow. Instead of hitting what I had expected to be a comforting softness, my head landed on a hard surface that stung and was definitely going to leave me with a headache the next day. After wheezing and holding my head for a few seconds and being asked if I was okay by way too many Gryffindors, I removed the pillow from on top of the object. It was my romance book that I had been reading before bed recently that had been hidden underneath my pillow. It was very strange as I certainly didn't remember having put it there. I decided to shove that thought away if only for my own mental stability. And yet as I fell asleep I could have sworn I could smell the slightest hint of apple and leather lingering on my sheets. 

It was dark and I had that sinking feeling that took over when something bad was going to happen. I tried to breathe but my heart was pumping to fast, it was as if I was sprinting a marathon and my body and mind wouldn't let me stop. I stumbled and fell over and over again in the silent darkness that threatened to drown me. Having given up on finding solitude I eventually sat down curling into myself, struggling to gulp down breath with my head in my clammy hands. I could feel the sweat on my face causing damp hair to cling to my temples. When I finally looked up again I expected to see darkness again. But instead I was met with a tense conversation between two men. Draco stood facing his father in a Hogwarts classroom. His posture was stiff and intense while Lucius' was relaxed. One second they were incoherently talking and the next Lucius had brought his hand down with incredible speed, hitting Draco and sending him falling to the ground. When Draco finally looked up he had an angry red mark splashed across his right cheek and was gasping, trying to hold back tears. The most shocking thing though, was what happened next. When Draco lifted his head it wasn't to his father. It was to where I sat in the darkness. 

I sat slouched forward on my desk in potions class as Professor Snape's deep monotone voice drawled on about the amortentia potion we would  be making next week. But I couldn't focus on any of the information as my thoughts kept drifting back to last nights dream. I tuned my head to look at Draco a couple of desks to my left. When he saw me looking he scrunched up his nose and glared back at me. His hair fell to reveal a small, barely noticeable bruise on his right cheek. I quickly looked in the other direction both embarrassed to be caught staring and confused by my own feelings and thoughts. Usually I didn't care what Draco thought of me, but now I could feel the heat rising up my neck and cheeks threatening to betray my emotions. And that bruise on his cheek just left me with even more questions and confusion; because that was exactly where the red mark had been on his face in my dream the night before. Turning to my left my gaze connected with Harry's. The corner of his mouth twitched up as he waved at me. Harry was fairly gorgeous...and intriguing. When Draco decided our friendship was over Harry was there to pick up the pieces, and I was thankful for that. 

"that is it for today students. Please revise your notes before tomorrows potions class." As students began to file out of the classroom gossiping and giggling amongst themselves I was struggling to shove all of my books into my bag and accidentally sent one flying across the floor. "here, I'll save you the walk." said Harry as he picked up the book and handed it back over. "Thanks Harry, I think I'll need a bigger bag soon." He caught a glimpse of the romance book sticking out of the bag and raised his eyebrows. "Or you could try walking around with only essential books." He was right, but because I had advanced potions class tonight and didn't want to walk to the dorms on the other side of Hogwarts and back, I decided I would hang around near the room and read while I waited for class to start. "This is essential" I said moving the book in front of his face and turned to walk out of the room. "Wait, I wanted to ask you something." I turned back around and nodded at him "sure." He cleared his throat and stepped closer. "I was wondering if you had a date to the Yule ball? and if you didn't...if you would like to go with me?" I'd never really seen Harry nervous. But now I could tell he was struggling not to run and hide; wiping his hands on his cloak and looking down at the floor. "I'd love to." I said, smiling as he lifted his head back up to look at me grinning ear to ear. However, his gaze quickly moved from my face to look over my shoulder where his eyes narrowed. I turned to where Harry was looking only find Draco Malfoy standing in the doorway watching us, face unreadable.

DRACO

Potter? Potter? She was going with Potter? I was shocked and...hurt? What was that pain I was feeling? Heart beating faster and faster, I could feel heat running along my veins like poison. Jealous? I couldn't be jealous. She was still Gryffindor scum no matter what we used to be. And yet, my body still shook with anger and hurt. She was Gryffindor scum, but she was mine. She had always been mine since the day I fell off that fence. And Potter was trying to steal her yet again. I removed myself from the situation before I could do something regrettable. I would sort Potter out soon enough.