2O HOURS

SERENDIPITY / 2O HOURS

┌─────────────────┐

weren't you the one
making silly promises
of staying by my side
forever? so was this
the forever you wanted?

└─────────────────┘

VITA MIA. cuore mio. luce dei miei occhi. my forever sweetheart, eleonora. my heart is missing you again.

looking back, our first meeting wasn't at all how i had expected to meet the love of my life.

when you had seen me at the art gallery in Florence, i had been quite immersed in the works of Michelangelo, and you had approached me with quite the hesitance, asking me and i quote, what the hell was the gallery about and how was i able to comprehend everything.

and i had laughed at your silly little outburst, thoroughly amused by your unfamiliarity with the displays of art, but had guided you through everything nonetheless.

you amused me, my dear elle, and i made it pretty clear that i wanted to know you more. when i stated the same proposal, you seemed quite hesitant, as if asking yourself how you landed yourself in such a situation when all you asked for was a little guidance from a stranger. something gave me the impression that you had a knack for getting yourself into troublesome situations.

nevertheless, you agreed, and our first evening together was spent roaming the narrowest of lanes of Florence, with not the slightest of idea where we were headed.

and when i woke up the next morning with a throbbing headache, i was quite displeased with myself, for, i didn't have the slightest recollection of the previous night.

our second meeting happened quite later. almost three weeks had passed since the art gallery incident, but you were still on my mind. and when you entered the cafe i used to work in, my eyes lit up with an unusual happiness.

but alas, you didn't remember my name. and truthfully, i was a little disheartened —— which was quite justified. someone who had preoccupied my thoughts with every little trivial habit of hers didn't even remember my name.

nevertheless, our second meeting was much more significant and your visits to our little coffee house frequented, less for the coffee, more for the flirty barista who was showing a piqued interest in you.

and somewhere in between the coffee breaks, stolen glances, museum adventures and late night walks in the lively city of Florence, i fell profoundly in love with you.

did you look back on that love in your last few days, vita mia? wasn't that enough of a reason to stay? weren't you the one making silly promises of staying by my side forever? so was this the forever you wanted?

if we had talked it out, would everything be different today? would you be by my side today? i have so many unanswered questions, and i'm afraid they'll remain unanswered forever.