Chapter 31

2 years later

Six months went by in a blur and I became the permanent CEO. Will became the managing director after a few months of training from yours truly and I was happy. My two years have come to an end, my contract has come to an end and in a day, I will be going back home. I am counting every second because I haven't seen my family in ages. I haven't seen my friends in ages, Laura came to visit a year ago but afterward it was just me. I can't wait to go visit my brothers so we watch movies and eat junk food just so we regret it the following day. I am busy packing my bags and Layla just left after helping me with packing.

I have already bid farewell to my colleagues at the company yesterday and they are probably looking for a new CEO at the moment. After the whole fiasco with Parker, we never heard anything from him. I have to report to HQ in a week so I have a few days all to myself and hopefully make another trip to New York and back. I had dinner with the Walters one last time before I went back to the states and went to bed exhausted.

The following day I took my flight back home. I couldn't wait to see my friends again. I did not tell them the exact date that I will be coming, all they know is that I will be going back this week. Katie helped me out with the whole process of buying the house and I now own a house so I am excited. I have a place to call home now. I arrived at LAX around 9 pm. I was exhausted but I was happy to be home. I called a cab that took me straight to the beach house. The last time I was here, I was staying at a friend's house and now I own it. I went straight into my room, showered, and slept. I was tired so it didn't take a while for me to get to dreamland.

The next morning I freshened up and gave Katie a call that I was back. We agreed to meet for lunch at Linda's. I couldn't reach Erastus though, his phone kept going back to voicemail and I didn't try calling Rose. I just didn't want to bother her. Maybe they have plans already, it's not like she and I have become friends after the wedding or anything.

We talk, if she needs something or if I can't reach Erastus from time to time, I do call her, but nothing else. I didn't want to become a nuisance, so I kept my phone calls few and I guess she did the same. I went to the kitchen, I needed some coffee. I sat on the counter with a mug in my hand, listening to the sound of the waves when a very drunk Erastus walked into the kitchen. He had a bottle of beer in his hands this early in the morning.

"Don't you think it's too early to be drinking?" I asked and he looked up. He looked so surprised, I mean it's not like he knew I would be back.

"You are back," he said more like a question than a statement.

"Yes. I am back. Surprise!" I said sarcastically.

He sat on one of the stools and remained silent. I had too many questions to ask, but I don't think he was sober enough to answer them.

"Why are you here?" I asked.

"I needed peace," he said like it was the perfect explanation.

"Did you find it? You look like you have been drunk for days. When was the last time you went to work? Do you even know what day it is?" I asked.

He just shrugged and didn't answer. I took the beer from him. And gave him a cup of coffee. I looked in the fridge to find him something to eat, just to find it filled up with cans of beer. I wish he was sober enough so I kick his a**, but he wasn't. I mean, I thought he was always better at handling all the crap life throws to people from time to time but I guess I was wrong. I was so disappointing to see him like that.

"You need to freshen up, get some sleep. We are going to have a conversation when I come back. I am going grocery shopping and I would appreciate it if I don't find the fridge full of beer. When was the last time you ate?" I asked.