Chapter Four - Sweet Dreams

~ Davina

We sail smoothly until nightfall, soon coming to a desolate island where we drop anchor and rest peacefully, properly, before we continue on our journey. The Boys light a bonfire on the island, catch some fresh fish and cook up a meal, surprisingly cheery and lighthearted after the intensity of the mainland events. Every time new sailors, pirates, experience the wrath of the governing bodies of any country, they're shaken and silent. But the Boys, are just as lively as when I first met them. It doesn't last long, and soon, we're all passed out in our quarters, the Boys rotating their watchman shifts without having to be asked. The stress of the day has worn us all out, and sleep comes quickly. But it doesn't last long. I'm awoken by the sound of creaking on the deck outside our quarters. I want nothing more than to roll over and go back to sleep, but my gut tells me to get up. I glance over at Peter next to me, sleeping deeply, his chest rising and falling with each deep breath. I take my dagger from under the mattress, gently rolling out of bed and silently moving across the floor, avoiding the boards that creak. I open the door wide enough for me to slip through, out onto the deck. The fresh air hits me, sends my head in a spin, to the point where I have to hold on to the wall behind me. I shake it off, take a deep breath. The moon is high, but covered by cloud, the only light coming from a dimming lantern by the helm. The sea gently laps against the sides of the ship and there's almost no breeze, but I feel it ruffle my hair. As I descend to the deck, my head spins again. I pause, gripping on to the banister, clenching my eyes shut. When I next open them, I see the shadowy figure standing across from me, then disappear. I move to the deck, holding the dagger out in preparation.

I feel a shift in the floorboards to my right, a shadow in my peripheral; I swing out and come into contact with whatever or whomever it is. I'm faced with a jungle as I pivot on my feet. No, the Neverland jungle. It's overgrown again, but I don't understand why, it should have cleared and stayed that way with the Elixir poured onto its magical sand of endless time. I whirl around as I see something move to my right, my feet stepping soundlessly as I move backwards through the foliage, creating a path through the overgrowth. The figure flashes past my left, I turn, I stumble, and I fall onto my back, losing my dagger. I expect to be buried under leaves and bushes, but instead, I land on the soft sand of the Neverland beach, the waves rolling gently on the shore. I scramble to my knees, searching for the dagger blindly and without any luck.

"So nice to see you again, Davina," that unforgettable haunting voice, that whispers, echoes and hisses to me.

Slowly, my eyes look up to see his Shadow looming over me. Eyes glowing, expressionless, but the smugness radiates from It, like standing next to a raging fire, burning my pride.

"We got rid of you..." I state, but any kind of courage fails me.

It chuckles, "You will never be rid of me. You will never separate me from him. I will always be here. I wish I could say the same for you."

Just as I go to protest, something or someone grabs the back of my nightshirt and drags me along the sand. I struggle, trying to worm my way out of this iron grip but to no avail. I kick and I scream and scratch and pull at my assailant. Nothing, until finally, they stop, and we're at the top of the cliff on Neverland. The same cliff where I almost drowned. The attacker pulls me along until half of my body is hanging over the cliff surface, the sea rough and crashing against the rocks at the bottom. Each wave whispers, swirling below with open arms to welcome my end. I hold on as tight as I can to the hand holding me by my collar over the cliff edge, and as they come into the light, I can barely believe what I see. I'm short of breath, wracked with fear, eyes wide. I freeze in his grip.

"You never did answer my question, Davina. Do you fear death?" Davy Jones asks, his face looming over mine.

For a moment I can't fathom any reaction, let alone words, but the realisation comes rising to the surface of my lungs like a bubble that must be burst.