one.

It was just like any day, well that's what I thought at first.

"Happy birthday Dongju!" My aunt called out to me while carrying a wide porcelain plate with a large cake placed on top of the plate's surface. I watched her walk towards me from the garden while I slowly stood up, waiting for her to pass the cake to me. My aunt was always the type to remember everyone's birthday, even if it's her so-called brother's son. "Quickly, make a wish!" She told me as she held the cake just below my shoulder height.

I took a breath and blew the three candles out, leaving the smoke slowly float away from the candle tips. "Thank you, aunt," I thanked her as I smiled brightly at her, while she handed me the plate with the cake placed on top of it. She smiled back at me with the sweetest smile I had ever seen anyone hold, she was such a powerful woman and I admired her. I had always wondered how she could still smile after everything had happened, especially smiling at me. Maybe it was out of guilt or pity, maybe it wasn't.

Memories of the large fire that had happened on this day years ago, spun through my mind like a plane flying around the globe. The memories of the day I lost my parents, the day I lost the person I loved. I could see the flames right in front of me again, I could hear my parents screaming once again and I could see Hyejin crying behind the large flames in front of my eyes but with a bright smile. Mouthing to me that it was going to be okay.

"Dongju?"

I blinked again to break my train of thoughts, soon realizing that I had been standing there with a pool of sweat upon my forehead and my eyes that were starting to tear up. I stared at her. I could see from her concerned expression, that I had stayed silent for a couple of long minutes now. I attempted to mutter some words that popped up in my mind, maybe something like 'yes' or 'sorry', maybe even a little hum; but nothing. Nothing came out of my mouth, but I could still feel my mouth open as I try to say one of the many words within my mind at that moment, that could possibly be an answer. I closed my eyes tightly, in the hopes of gaining my consciousness again, they were closed for a few exceptionally long seconds. My aunt still standing there with her concerned expression upon her comforting face.

My eyes still tightly shut, I shook my head and raised it, to face her as my eyes slowly opened to see her face again. "Are you alright?" she asked, once I fully opened my eyes. I shook my head again in disagreement. Now standing there in shock at what I just did, I wasn't lying, of course, I truly wasn't alright, but I don't know why I had told her that I wasn't. Something was off, was it because it was my birthday, was it because it was that day? Were they the reason behind why I was so nervous, the fact that I hadn't been thinking about my surroundings like I always do? I needed to get out of there as soon as possible, I had told myself as I tilted my head down and started to step past my aunt.

"I'm going to take a breather."