Chapter 1 - Check-In

Early morning in Britain's Heathrow Airport: a bustling place of entrances and exits. The sun rises over the hustle and bustle of cars, planes, and construction. The main doors are filled with people both entering and exiting vehicles. Announcements for flights and baggage echo throughout the airport. In this chaotic scene, a boy and his mother run to one of the gates. The name "Evan" is embroidered on one of the many pieces of baggage. Carey frets as she drags the stumbling boy through the airport. As they reach the gate, Carey opens the zippers and quadruple-checks the items inside.

"Now, you've made sure you have got everything?"

Evan rolls his eyes as his mother checks his backpack. "Yes..." Exasperation creeps into his voice.

"Sunglasses? Passport? Ticket?" Carey lists off what seems like every possible travel item known to man.

Evan groans. "Yes, of course, I have those."

"What about sun cream...? Oh, did I give you enough shorts to wear?"

"Mum! For the one-thousandth time! Yes!... I have everything I need. You know you don't have to keep checking over and over. I'm not a young kid anymore," Evan snapped. Carey pauses. A look of worry and pride fills her face.

"Oh, I know, honey. I just can't believe you're so grown up and traveling the world. But what if something happened to you!?" Carey exclaimed. Evan puts down both suitcases.

"Come on mum... It's only a 2-week vacation. And it's not like I am going alone. I'm sure the camp will be filled with others keeping me safe. I just want to... Get away and explore... You know? Maybe even have new experiences and meet new people."

Carey smiles. "You sound just like your father did. Always looking for an adventure."

"Well. They do say it runs in the blood. Can't help what he passed down to me." Carey lays her hands on Evan's shoulders.

"He'd be so proud of the man you've grown up to be." Carey whispers. Evan sadly smiles.

"Yeah... yeah, I know Mum." Both of them go silent for a bit. Evan continues with a more upbeat tone: "But hey, he would've loved me going to a camp full of archaeologists! It's like he brought me up to be one myself!"

"And he would always go on about those silly stories of his to you," Carey said with a grin. Evan smiles too.

"Ha... Yeah...". An announcement is made through the airport speakers.

"Check-in for flight number 117 to Cancun, Mexico. Will be closing in approximately, 30 minutes, for all passengers." Evan rushes to pick back up his suitcases.

"Well! I think that's probably my cue to get going and go to--" Evan is cut off as his mother practically tackles him with a hug. Evan stumbles backward and eventually recovers. He drops one of his suitcases again to hug his mother's shoulder.

"Be careful out there, my little pioneer," Carey said heartwarmingly.

"Err... Mum. People are looking." Evan says, embarrassed. Carey slowly pulls back from the hug.

"Oh... sorry. H-Have fun and take lots of photos! Call me as soon as you arrive! I love you, Evan!" Carey stammers. Evan picks up his other suitcase and heaves his rucksack over his left shoulder.

"I love you too, mum," Evan replies.

Evan moves to the check-in desk further away. He shouts a few parting sentences to his mother.

"Oh, and err... I will be sure to send you a postcard! Or... Y'know... Bring back something valuable! I will do you proud! Stay out of my room!" Evan waves and looks over his shoulder. Carey waves back and smiles.

"I know you will."