Angst

Angst is a feeling of deep anxiety or dread, typically unfocused about the human condition or state of the world in general. It's that apprehension, sense of foreboding or trepidation. It can be a persistent worry about something trivial, such as fretting about your hair being out of place. Generally, it's feeling unsettled, without having a precise reason. 

   Unfortunately, some experience angst in spite of the peace available to them as believers. John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Why are some allowing themselves to be troubled, when they don't have to? For many it comes down to one simple thing: the cares of the world. In the Parable of the Sower, Jesus put it this way: He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the Word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful (Matthew 13:22).

   People are getting caught up in the affairs of world along with the times in which they find themselves. When difficult times arise, exposure takes place. It's easy to have peace when everything is good. It's also a place to be lukewarm and think it's okay, because of the lack of opposition. Everyone comes to the proverbial crossroads where they have to decide who or what they are going to follow. You cannot have one foot in the world and the other in the Kingdom. It's one or the other.

   You either believe the Bible or you don't. You either walk by faith or you walk by sight. Be warned, walking by sight is filled with blind spots. You are dependent on your own reasoning, and allow no room for God lead you in the right direction. Hard times separate believers from non-believers. Many say they have faith, but their actions and attitudes say otherwise. This is not meant to be some scathing review of someone's character or a self-righteous assessment of those struggling. It is meant to be bring clarity to those who suffer angst. Where are you directing your thoughts?

   To be clear, some have difficulty with focus because of other issues, such a trauma of which they still suffer. They need healing. Notwithstanding, if you focus on the things of the world, and leave God out of the equation, angst will be waiting with open arms. It's one thing to have a grasp of what's going on around you; it's quite another to be so immersed in it, you're drowning. On the other hand, if you readjust your focus and make God your Priority, peace will return.