Seven: Fun

Makoto didn't have very much experience with dating. His only relationship had been with Sayaka, and, well... that didn't exactly turn out great. But his fake relationship with Byakuya was going well so far. In fact, despite Byakuya's standoffish attitude and Makoto's lack of experience, it was almost fun.

Their 'dates' mostly consisted of Makoto tagging along to various libraries as he searched for different types of highly classified information. Makoto mostly slept through those. Once or twice Byakuya would point out something interesting in a grisly murder investigation or explain an elaborate loophole that had gotten a convicted killer off the hook, and that was kind of cool, but for the most part Makoto didn't really know what he was doing there.

He had mentioned this to Byakuya once but had gotten completely brushed off. "The point of this," he'd said icily, "is to be seen together in public, not to have fun. If I absolutely have to date someone like you, I'm at least going to get some work done while I'm at it."

Makoto respectfully disagreed. "You work way too much already. If you have to date 'someone like me', why not try to have some fun with it?"

Byakuya shook his head in disgust. "A simpleton like you could never understand. The world is a cruel place, Makoto. If you stop moving for even one second, you slip, and someone else takes your place."

In a way Makoto knew what he meant. He'd never really excelled at anything, but even trying to keep average grades got exhausting sometimes. If he didn't give it every effort he'd end up at the bottom of the class. Still... "That doesn't mean you're not allowed to take a break every once in a while! Next time we go out, I'm taking you somewhere fun."

Byakuya opened his mouth, and Makoto suddenly remembered the situation they were in. He's going to tell me that I have no right to boss him around, not when he has all the power. He's going to threaten to release the note or something...

But he didn't. He just sighed. "Well, I suppose there's no avoiding it. Now then, what day should I be dreading exactly?"

Meeting up for their dates was a bit tricky. Makoto couldn't pick Byakuya up at his house because he hadn't come out to his parents, and Byakuya couldn't pick Makoto up at his house because Komaru would hound both of them incessantly. On school days they could just walk together instead of going home, but on weekends they had to arrange a rendezvous point, and Makoto was always late, usually because he had to shake off Komaru and make sure she wasn't tailing him before meeting up.

"Why are you so afraid of your younger sister?" Byakuya had asked once. "She is deeply annoying, but she appears harmless."

Makoto had shaken his head. "Trust me. Being at home with her since she found out about you is a living hell. Just question after question about what's he like and are you his first and have you two boned yet."

"Ugh. No need to be so vulgar."

"Her words!" Makoto protested. "Anyway, she feeds off our interactions. I don't want to know what she'd become if she managed to stalk me to one of our dates."

That day, though, Makoto showed up early, looking much more excited than usual. His grin stretched ear to ear, and he looked so innocent and earnest that Byakuya almost smiled back. "So," he said, composing himself, "what torture do you have planned for us today?"

Makoto held up two tickets. "So there's this island that's all one big theme park. I think it's part of Jabberwock Island or something."

Byakuya buried his face in his hands. "No... dear God, no..."

"I got us passes!" Makoto continued, undeterred by Byakuya's lack of enthusiasm. "A full day for each of us, and I brought along a hundred dollars for food because I know it's really expensive."

Byakuya stared. He was almost afraid to ask, but... "How much did this cost you?"

"Like two hundred dollars," Makoto said brightly. "I got a part time job a little while ago and I've been saving up, and I figured this was a good time to use it."

Two hundred dollars... it was a laughable amount to Byakuya, but to a boy like Makoto who wasn't used to being able to spend as much money as he wanted, it was a small fortune. And he had chosen to spend all that money for one day out with his fake boyfriend.

Something spoke up inside Byakuya, a little voice he'd never heard before. His conscience, probably. Damn. I've tried so hard not to develop one of those. It pained him a little to do this, but...

Byakuya dug inside his wallet and pulled out three hundred dollar bills. Makoto's eyes widened when he saw it. "Woah... you just carry that around with you?"

"Naturally," Byakuya said airily. "Such a meager amount means nothing to me. But for you I suspect it'd take weeks to earn even this, and since you've chosen to so foolishly waste it, I can't help but pity you." He tucked the money back into his wallet. "I'll give this to you at the end of the day. No doubt you'd lose it in an instant if I gave it to you now."
Makoto was about to insist on paying for everything himself. Then he remembered that Byakuya was filthy rich and felt a little less guilty. "Are you sure?"

"Don't make me repeat myself. Like I said, I can't help but pity you for throwing away your limited funds on such a foolish endeavor."

He had meant for the comment to be sharp, betraying none of the genuine gratitude he felt toward Makoto. Apparently it hadn't come across that way, though, because Makoto's smile widened. "You're the best, Byakuya! Thank you!"

"Will you shop showering me with compliments?" Byakuya turned away so Makoto wouldn't see him blush. "It's pathetic."

Makoto reached out his hand, and almost unconsciously, Byakuya took it. Amazing, Makoto thought. Two weeks ago he would've started blushing uncontrollably. Now he's fine with it.

He shook off that revelation and looked at Byakuya, still smiling. "Come on," he said, tugging on his hand. "It's gonna be awesome."

And it was. Byakuya hadn't expected it, but he actually started to enjoy himself. He wasn't used to being allowed this kind of pointless indulgence, and he'd had no idea how much fun not having to worry about anything could be. He pretended to be annoyed by Makoto's nonstop enthusiasm, dragging him on ride after ride, but really, he felt more alive than he had in a long time. All thanks to Makoto.

Night fell, and the two of them walked out of the park, preparing to take a boat back to the mainland. "So?" Makoto asked, his smile just as wide as it had been when they'd started despite hours of nonstop walking and waiting in line. "Fun, right?"

Byakuya looked away. "I suppose it was... bearable. A fitting excuse for wasting so much of my precious time, I suppose."
Makoto's face lit up, somehow becoming even brighter than it already was. "I knew it! I'm so glad you had fun, Byakuya. Let's do it again sometime."

Again? Why would anyone want to engage in such a pointless waste of time twice? But looking into Makoto's eyes, so full of enthusiasm and life, he couldn't bring himself to say no.

"...Okay."

Makoto tilted his head. "Really? That's it? No insults, no grumbling?"

"Oh, will you shut up? It simply shows how resigned I've become to your company, that's all."

He tried to show as little emotion as he could, but inside he was thrilled. Because for the first time, he had found someone he enjoyed spending time with.

Because for the first time, he had fallen in love with someone.