Chapter 11: Rat A Tat

"Remember me as I was not as I amAnd I said, "I'll check in tomorrow if I don't wake up dead,"

And I said, "I'll check in tomorrow if I don't wake up dead,"

THE blood pumping through her body was fast enough to make her feel dizzy, but she carried on running until she found an exit. She was sweating with fear and her feet slipped on the cold floor; she barely breathed, praying for an escape. She finally found a metal door at the end of an unlit corridor and she slammed her weight against it finally swung open and sent her flying through it onto the concrete. Her knees were cut up and with very little clothing, she felt vulnerable. She finally breathed and the sobbing came, she slammed the door closed and turned around to look at her surroundings. It was cold, and she had escaped, but she wasn't safe. She knew they would have noticed she had escaped, and it wouldn't be long before she'd be found. Shielding her eyes from the bright sun, she stumbled out into the road and froze as a car halted inches away from her.

"Help," she mumbled clutching onto the bonnet of the car.

A lady shot out of her car to look at Carmen, "Please help me," Carmen pleaded.

The lady nodded shakily, and Carmen slowly got into the car, making sure to lock the door. The lady watched her move but remained quiet, focusing on the road ahead. Carmen wrapped her hands around her body, tears continued to drip down her face and she ignored the pain in her knees as they bled down her leg. She made a mental note to apologise for the mess, but she couldn't formulate a full sentence. Once the car slowed to a stop on a driveway, the lady smiled weakly at Carmen before exiting the car and heading into the house. Carmen unlocked her own door slowly and followed the lady inside, wincing at her sore bare feet.

"Dallon?" the lady cried, and Carmen stepped inside the large house.

A tall man, Dallon, came into the room and blinked on the sight of Carmen. He looked questioningly at the lady, who remained silent.

"Breezy, are you okay?" he asked and Breezy nodded.

Dallon smiled at her, and then walked up to Carmen, he slowly and gently sat her down and spoke, "What happened?"

Carmen rubbed away the tears from her eyes and tried to work out who was stood in front of her, she recognised his face. Breezy had disappeared from the room to tend to her children, who were shouting from the other room. Carmen continued to study his face and her eyes flickered around the room, spotting an award on the wall.

"Panic?" she mumbled.

Dallon nodded and headed to the kitchen and came back with a first aid kit, "Are you hurt?" he asked.

Carmen shook her head but Dallon had already started to clean the wounds of her knees and feet, "Do you know what happened?" he asked, careful to not hurt her.

The girl in front of him sat shivering, "Where's Pete? Do you know where he is?" she spoke suddenly and frantically, attempting to get out of the seat.

Dallon stepped back, giving her space. "What's your name?" he asked, curiosity getting to him.

"Carmen, I was taken by some men," she mumbled, more tears creeping out of her eyes.

Dallon swallowed, "Pete Wentz?" he had heard about Carmen before.

Carmen clutched at her stomach, the pain in her body getting worse, "He's gone, he left," she cried.

He didn't know what to do, he gestured for her to sit down again and continued to clean her knees and spoke gently, "Pete's been gone for a while, he went a bit off and the band had to do a few concerts without him. No one's been able to contact him."

Carmen's head shot up and the pain in her stomach returned, it wasn't just physical, it was a mental pain. It was heartbreak and loss, "I need to find him," she cried and clutched at Dallon's hands.

Dallon jumped back nervously and started to chew his lip and Carmen watched him, "We will find him, just not today," he replied hopefully.

Carmen nodded and she watched Dallon stand up, "Just stay here tonight, we have a guest room," Dallon spoke.

***

Carmen lay in a large double bed, she had wrapped herself in the duvet like a protective cocoon. When she had entered the room, she made sure to lock the windows as well as the door. She had lost trust. A gentle tap on the door had her sitting bolt upright, and she fumbled for the light before heading to the door and unlocking it. A young girl stood, clutching a teddy, smiling.

"When I get scared, Mr Bear helps me sleep," and she pressed it into Carmen's hands before running back to her room.

Carmen smiled down at the bear she now clutched between her hands and then shut the door.

This time, she didn't lock it.