Prologue

Ophelia's outfit:

-------------------------------------------------

It was a sunny day in Kings county Georgia. It was August school had just started a few weeks ago for Ophelia Grimes and her brother Carl. It had not been a good morning for either of them and for Ophelia her mother's words keep replaying in her head as she waits for her mother to pick her up from school.

Eight hours earlier
Ophelia's pov

I had just finished getting ready for school when my parents started arguing. Again.

I walked out of my room and towards the kitchen where the arguing is coming from, and sure enough there they are bickering about something stupid. IN FRONT of Carl. Who is trying to eat.

I walk up behind Carl and put my hands on his shoulders trying to bring him some comfort. But by the way, he keeps his head down, I know that no comfort I give to him will make him feel better.

"Sometimes I wonder if you even care about us at all." I look up from carl to see the stunned look on my father's face mixed with hurt.

That's a lie and I know it our dad cares more about us than any other dad I see with their kids, it's not his fault his job keeps him away from us all the time. And for her to say it in front of Carl. A twelve-year-old boy about to go to school.

" MOM!" my yelling gets their attention and it looks like they finally realized how loud they were. " Since your just not capable enough to stop yelling at dad long enough to take us to school, we'll walk, come on carl"

He got up and we grabbed our bags and walked past are stunned parents and out the door.

Present time
Ophelia's pov

I don't feel bad for what I said she needed to hear it. I had a talk with carl on the way to school, I made him understand that she didn't mean what she said, even if she did he didn't need to know that.

When mom finally pulled up I figured out what I'm going to say to her.
I get in the car quietly which is very unlike me. Which tells my mom that I'm upset.

"I'm sorry about this morning" she apologized, she knows it won't do her any good but hey it was worth a try.

"You don't get it, mom you said that in front of Carl now he's going to think dad doesn't care about us." she sighed she knew I was right.

"I know I know and I'm sorry neither of you should have heard it hell I shouldn't have said it at all" At least she knew she shouldn't have said that.