Chapter 9- Arrows of outrageous fortune

Ethon's PoV

The arrow whistles through the air and sails right over the target, disappearing into the orchard. I suppose that it is an improvement over my last attempt, which ended with an arrow embedded in the lawn.

Merlin is fairing slightly better and has several arrows protruding from the outer rim, although has not yet gotten one within the painted circles.

"I think that my bow is defective." I glare at the device.

"Is that so?" Seemingly from out of nowhere, Darish is standing by my elbow.

My pout elucidates a raised eyebrow, in that quizzical way of his.

"Pray, let me try." He holds out a hand.

Darish takes the bow and it fits snugly against his body, almost as if it is a part of him. In a fluid movement, he knocks an arrow and lets it fly. It land right in the centre of the bullseye.

"How?" I demand, throwing up my arms.

"Practice, young prince." He hands the bow back to me. "You are standing wrong and keep moving as you release, hence your uncontrollable missiles. Here, let me aid you."

Once he is satisfied with my stance, he instructs me how to draw, adjust my aim and then release. The arrow thuds into the outer circle.

"Thank you, Darish." I beam, then a little frown creases my brow. "Are you finished for the day? And if so, do you know where Al is? I have not seen him since we broke our fast."

"I am merely taking a break. I thought it best to save the chickens quivering amongst the fruit trees. I believe that Raphael is in the music room." With that, Darish pivots on his heels and heads back to the Palace.

"Eth, do you think that would should see if Al needs rescuing?" Merlin asks.

With a nod, I drop my bow and start running, calling behind me, "Race you there."

Inside, I almost careen into our music tutor. Merlin grabs my arm just in time and pulls me aside.

"Your Highness. Decorum, please!" The tutor gives me that part-disappointed and part-owlish look over the top of his half-rim glasses.

Even before we open the door, the complex strains of the piano sing out. Al is sat at the instrument, his fingers lightening quick and faultless upon the keys.

I pull up at the sight of Saira perched on a side table, her legs swinging and quiz, "What you doing here?"

She waves at an empty plate. "I brought Raph something to eat as he missed luncheon."

"That was thoughtful." I give her a nod, before returning my focus to AL. "Hey bro! Do you want to come outside with us? We have the archery targets set up."

Al rolls his shoulders and swivels around to face me. "While a rest would be nice, the bow is really not my weapon of choice and I need to master this concerto."

"Seriously? Al, you already sound amazing."

"He does have such talented fingers. I am looking forward to a performance." Saira gives a slightly odd smile and pushes off from the table. "Later, boys."

"Performance?" I ask as she disappears in a swish of skirts.

"I have a job at the Royal Opera House," Al responds. "They have a famous soprano doing a guest appearance and their pianist is struck down with a malady, so they have asked me to step in."

My nose crinkles. "Why do you have need of employment?"

He plinks at the keys in an absentminded fashion. "I am in want of some coin."