Step 16: Get Outstanding OWLs

"As you can see," Professor McGonagall told the class as they copied down the dates and times of their exams from the blackboard, "your OWLs are spread over two successive weeks. You will sit the theory papers in the mornings and the practice in the afternoons. Your practical Astronomy examination will, of course, take place at night.

"Now, I must warn you that the most stringent anti-cheating charms have been applied to your examination papers. Auto-Answer Quills are banned from the examination hall, as are Remembralls, Detachable Cribbing Cuffs and Self-Correcting Ink. Every year, I am afraid to say, seems to harbour at least one student who thinks that he or she can get around the Wizarding Examinations Authority's rules. I can only hope that it is nobody in Gryffindor."

"Our new—Headmistress—" Professor McGonagall pronounced the word as if it were a speck of dirt. "—has asked the Heads of House to tell their students that cheating will be punished most severely—because, of course, your examination results will reflect upon the Headmistress's new regime at the school—" Professor McGonagall gave a tiny sigh; the nostrils of her sharp nose flare.

"—however, that is no reason not to do your very best. You have your own futures to think about.

"Please, Professor," said Granger, her hand in the air, "when will we find out our results?"

"An owl will be sent to you sometime in July," answered Professor McGonagall.

"Excellent," whispered Cullen from the seat behind Draco and Ember, "so we don't have to worry about it till the holidays.

Our first examination, Theory of Charms, was scheduled for Monday morning. Ember spent most of her time studying with Draco and Cullen.

"Theo, what's the answer!" groaned Ember sleepily.

Theodore Nott shrugged, "I dunno, see for yourself."

"Dammit, I wish Draco didn't go to sleep. He's smart." Ember whined, slamming the Charms book across her face.

"Don't fall asleep on me," said Theo. "You're smarter than me and I need someone to help because Charms is my least favourite subject... Professor Flitwick is —"

Theo was cut off by the sound of Ember's soft snoring. She had already fallen asleep, the book lying on top of her face rising and falling with each breath.

"Merlin," muttered Theo, shaking his head at the girl.

He got off the couch and scooped Ember up in his arms, she was surprisingly very light which made him frown slightly. As quiet as he possibly could he carried her to his dorm. Blaise and Cullen were both sleeping, thank god. Draco Malfoy was sitting up in his bed and almost jumped at the sight of Theo and Ember.

"What the fuck did you do to her?" he snapped at the boy.

"Shh, she's asleep," Theo said, gesturing to Ember who was stirring slightly in his arms.

Draco scowled at Theo and transferred her into his own arms. He grabbed one of his many black shirts and slammed the door to the bathroom shut causing Theo to sigh.

"What happened?" Ember murmured groggily, rubbing her eyes as Draco placed her carefully on the floor.

"You fell asleep studying with Nott," explained Draco.

Ember nodded a little and let Draco undress her and pull his shirt over her head.

None of the fifth-years spoke at breakfast. Each of them were too immersed in their own studies, Ember was casting spells under the table as she read through her Charms textbook again. Draco was glaring daggers at Theodore Nott who was chatting up a third-year. Cullen and Billie were stuffing their mouths with food, nervous eating. Georgia and Blaise were muttering incoherent words to each other.