Gem Day (Part 3)

Every Troll was gathered for the ceremony.

Branch and half of the leaders were in their ceremonial garbs, waiting off stage for the others.

Branch asked, "Where are they?"

King Quincy said, "I'm sure they'll be here before it's too late."

Then, the others showed up in their garbs.

Branch asked, "You guys, where have you been?"

Poppy answered, "Putting on our ceremonial garbs, just like the rest of you. We have got to get a picture of you, by the way, Branch."

Meanwhile, Barb took the others aside and told them what happened.

They all gasped, but agreed to help out.

Branch asked, "You really want to do this now? We're supposed to start the ceremony."

Poppy answered, "Yeah, yeah. It's ok, Branch. Just smile for the camera. Smile. Smile harder."

Unbeknownst to him, Trollex snuck up behind him and plucked a strand of hair from his head.

Branch felt it, "Ow! What was that?"

"Branch, cheese!"

Branch just tried to block the flash from his eyes.

Trollex and DJ planted the strand of hair.

Poppy took the bad photo and said, "Great picture, Branch. You look nice."

Branch replied, "Thanks. That makes me feel good."

Poppy then asked, "Good? As in joyful?"

"Well, I guess I'm a little-"

Barb cut in as she stroked his cheek weirdly, "In that case, Branch, allow me to reiterate. You look really nice."

Cooper then said as he stroked Branch's hair, "Yeah. Branch, you look so nice, I could stare at you all night."

But, Branch said, "Uh, that makes me feel...awkward?"

They looked back and the plant drooped, and Trollex and DJ gestured them to dial it back.

Delta then said, "Awkward? Well, we can't have that on your big night. You're supposed to be feeling joy! Ha-ha!"

Prince D said, "Yeah. And you know what makes me feel joy, Branch?"

Cooper answered, "Babies playing with puppies!"

There was a baby and puppy playing right in front of them, "We love you, Branch!"

The others went, "Awww."

But, Branch just asked, "What?"

That certainly didn't help the plant, either.

Branch asked, "You guys, what is going on?"

Poppy then said, "Ok, Branch. I didn't want it to come to this, but it's time to bring out the big funs!"

They all pulled out feathers.

Cooper said, "Tickle, tickle, tickle!"

As Branch started laughing, the plant began to revive.

But, before it was completely done, Branch stopped them, "Ok, enough!"

The plant drooped again.

Branch said, "Guys, please. I'll admit that was delightful, but now is not the time. Why are you acting so weird?"

No one answered, and they saw the plant was still in bad shape.

Poppy knew she had to come clean, "We are acting weird. And it's because...I lost your gem."

Branch gasped, "You lost my gem?"

Barb said, "But, then we found it."

"Oh."

Prince D said, "But, then it shattered into a million pieces."

"Oh."

Poppy said, "I'm really sorry. I know how much today means to you and you can't have a Gem Day without a gem, so...take mine."

Poppy took out her own gem and held it out to Branch.

Branch was slightly surprised, "What?"

Poppy said, "It's not as good as having yours, but at least you'll always have a reminder of all you've accomplished."

Branch couldn't take it, "Poppy, no. This is too important to you. You can't give me your gem."

Barb said, "Yeah, Pop Squeak. You shouldn't do that."

She then took out hers, "Take my gem, Branch."

Cooper also took out his, "No, take mine, Branch."

Pretty soon, all of the others took out their own gems to give to him.

Branch still insisted, "No, guys, really."

King Quincy said, "You deserve this, Branch."

Trollex said, "You worked a lot harder to get your gem than any of us did."

DJ said, "You're the last one who should go without one, dude."

Prince D said, "Come on, Branch."

Branch was truly touched, "I can't believe this. This makes me feel so...feel so..."

Suddenly, there was a blue glow.

All of that kindness was the one thing Branch needed to feel overwhelming joy.

The strand of hair grew into a flower that revealed Branch's new gem.

They all knew it was now time for the ceremony.

***

The ceremony had started.

Branch went before the rulers.

Poppy said, "Branch, it is our honor as your rulers...and as your friends...to present you with your Troll gem."

They revealed the gem behind them.

Poppy continued, "May it always shine as bright as your joyful spirit."

Branch smiled as he took the gem and showed it to the whole nation.

He then started singing a note to make it glow.

Poppy took out hers and started singing, too.

And soon, everyone took out their gems and harmonized.

As they did, every gem glowed as bright as the night sky.