Chapter Three: Warin

I don't blink even once while I stare at the man walking towards me. My body goes stiff, the time feels still. I don't dare let him go off my sight. The wind is chilly but it's not the reason for the goosebumps on my skin.

The headlights of my car are on and the man is getting closer and clearer in the dark. He looks familiar. Is he Sanders Spurs? I turn the keys in to give one last chance to my car. And it disappoints.

'Their car was found 20 miles away from the town. The police found no useful evidence from it.'

This is not how I am going to die. My phone slips from my hand and I see it falling next to my gas pedal. When I look up the man is gone. A wave of panic passes through me and I start regretting everything.

But this is a scenario where I am required. The parapsychic in me is about to come in action when-

"Hey there slugger. Do you need help?" The man asks me with his hands on my window pane. I am startled and take a few moments before uttering anything.

"Uh uh....ahm... Ye-yes. Yes, my car broke down." I stutter, still collecting myself together. He has black hair and dark brown eyes. Nothing like Sanders Spurs. He nods and says he will need to check my car.

"I can call a mechanic." I say.

"No need, I just need to open the front to check what's wrong." He informs in an accent which is new to my ears. I take the car keys out of the ignition, pick up my phone and come out of the car.

"Okay, are you sure you can do this?" I ask cautiously and lock the car before it slips my mind.

"Yes. May I?"

"Yea. Okay." I say with uncertainty but what choice do I have. He opens up the bonnet with natural ease. He probably is a grown man not a teenager as I guessed first. I stand with my hands folded close to my chest.

"Are you going to Warin?" He questions while pulling at a wire.

"Yes. Are you from there?"

"No."

"Oh," I pause, "Okay."

"Do you know the way to the township?" He inquires.

"Yes, I mean I have Google maps."

"What?"

"Umm. Google maps." I shake my phone in his direction.

"Oh you won't need it. Just go straight till you see the board of Warin."

"That's what I figured. Thank you." He nods and we stay quiet for sometime

"Just check your car once. See if it is working now." He motions me to go in my car.

I enter the car still keeping an eye on him. He doesn't close the bonnet yet asks me to continue anyway. I put in the keys and turn them. The car makes a short lived sound but he instructs me to try again. I do it and on the third try the car roars to life. 

I sigh and let my head crash the headrest. He closes the bonnet and shows a thumbs up. "Thank you."

He waves and starts leaving. "Hey! Excuse me," He halts and turns around to me. "How can I pay you?"

He frowns and shakes his head. "Please let me." I insist.

"No, I don't take money." He says firmly.

"Umm. Then anything else? Food?"

"No. I have to go. Have a safe journey." He leaves into the dark forest as if it's his home. That was odd but I really don't understand village people. I press the gas pedal and drive into the night.

In about half an hour I make my way inside Warin. The entrance is normal. There are a few houses around the township. I drive past a few shops and a laundry. My plan is to acquire the house tomorrow morning.

It has been an hour and I haven't found any motel or inn. In fact I think I have covered the whole township in the meanwhile. It seems that Warin is smaller than I thought.

It is surrounded by a wall that marks it's boundaries. I didn't see anything more than some houses, shops and a few farmlands. Is there even a hospital here? I hope there is.

Other than that the eerie silence and no person in sight is bothering me. It feels like an abandoned place.

Does anyone even live here?

I reverse my car back from the wall where I keep coming back to. I decide upon knocking on doors to ask for directions. Some of the houses have there lights on, those are the places to go.

I slow down across the residential area and instantly feel watched. As if the town doesn't feel abandoned anymore. Someone in one of the houses shuts down their drapes after I cross it. That's it, I am stopping there.

I park the car in front of the house and go to the door. After a few knocks it is opened by an old lady. She is dressed in a worn out night gown. Her hair is messy and she looks tried. "Are you the police?" She asks grumpily.

"No, no. I am new here. Could you tell me if there is any motel or inn here? I need a place to stay for the night." She examines me, it looks like she doesn't believe me. 

A frown comes up on her face and she answers, "There is no hotel here. But if you need a place to stay ask Goliyo."

"I am sorry, Goliyo? Where can I find him?"

"Wait here." She goes back into her house. I stand on the porch and take a peek inside the house. It seems really congested and she probably lives here alone. She comes back out to the door and I compose myself.

"I called him, he will come here to take you." She says and shuts the door on my face.