Cross the Horizon

There is a world, beyond what you know. It's more than the misty mornings from the castle windows, or the lingering smell of dinner leaking through the kitchen and into the common room in the evenings. It's more than the room of requirement's shapeshifting abilities and deeper than what can be described in all the pages of the books in the library. I have looked for solace in all of these, hoping for a taste of the childhood spent in movie theatres, arcades, and road trips to nans up north for Christmas holiday.

There is a world beyond that of magic, and it calls for me to return to them.

The last night of my stay in the muggle world for summers is spent memorizing the mundane power of the muggles. I memorize the sound of my parent's voices, their never-ending concerns for me while I'm away. I sit across from them at the Kent's dinner table, and I watch them take in the seamless blend of muggle and wizard that happens before their eyes. I don't think they ever get less surprised.

Nicole Kent, my very best friend in the world and host of said dinner, sits beside me. Her family takes me in the night before every term begins to make it easier on my parents. They only live a town over, and my dad would deny it if I said it out loud but he's grateful he never has to run through that bloody wall again. Nic's mum is a muggle which makes it easier for my parents to ask them questions, really really stupid questions. Mum is grateful she has someone else she can rely on while I'm away.

The conversation between our families flowed easily enough, with Mr. Kent asking about my brother's new job in London, and Mum boasting about her newfound bond with my 'letter bird' (a bond that is only slightly above the bird pecking so furiously at the treats in her hand she bleeds). I'm wildly content to listen to the sounds of a life unburdened by school, or crisis, or magic.

It's not that I don't like magic, not at all, I love the sheer majesty that runs through my blood at the drop of a phrase. I love the satisfaction that rips through my ribcage when I brew a potion just right or even the feeling of my wand in the palm of my hand. It's easier than the breath that draws from my lungs. I just feel the light ignorance of the muggle world keeping me tethered to the earth. So, I relish the time I spend just between the two families in simple bliss.

As I thought in depth about the places, I would be missing in less than a days' time Nicole nudged me out of my mind. When I looked at her she gave me a look telling me to join us in the present once again. When I returned back to the conversation I listened once more to Nicole's brother, Seamus, lamenting about how he wishes to go to school with us.

"Why couldn't I have been born just a year earlier?" He asked indignantly, "This term everyone's going to be talking about the World cup and I'll be stuck here with you lot!" He sat back in his chair defeated.

"Oi!" Mr. Kent objected, "What's all this 'you lot' last I checked I'm your dad?" Seamus just rolled his eyes and took an overwhelmingly large bite of his mashed potatoes. "'Sides, you'll be starting your quidditch lessons this term, so you'll have mates in no time." At the sound of that, it was Mrs. Kent's turn to roll her eyes in disagreement.

"I still think he's much too young," she explained to my mum who looked confused, "It's just bloody dangerous is what it is." My dad murmured an agreement but shot Seamus a well-mannered wink.

"I'm just glad our Meelie never took up the sport!" Mum cried in relief. At which I felt my chest constrict at the thought of being so high in the air. At the mere mention of the sport my hands clammed up, and my stomach dropped.

"Yeah, no thanks to Nic." I retorted at mum. Nicole makes a quick move to jab me with her elbow for throwing her under the bus, "Ow! Nic, you monster" I screeched sarcastically as the table chuckled.