5: Abusive Volleyball Players

The pencil snapped in her fist and a piece of led went flying.

Akira's eyes widened as she pushed herself away. Emiko's body was shaking and she was being unnaturally quiet ever since the Sensei had denied her request to change seats.

Was she going to transform? Physically, no, but mentally she had assumed her ultimate form and the Sensei had died 358 times.

"Do you need another pencil?" Akira offered.

"I need you to leave me alone," Emiko murmured through clenched teeth. She then turned to her desk mate with an over-exaggerated smile. "Nope, I'm done the work for the day."

She peered over to take a look at the paper sitting on her desk. "But you barely finished the first question. And there are forty-two left."

Emiko blinked. "Sensei!" she shrieked, "Please let me move back to my seat by the window. I need the sunlight, please."

"The sunlight is reaching you plenty over there."

"I can't photosynthesize properly if it's not directly near me."

"Suzuki you're thinking of plants which is the answer to the second question. Please continue your work."

She dropped her head on the desk with a loud bang. Everyone in the class laughed. At least, before her metaphorical death as a flower, she could contribute some humour to this treacherous garden.

"Oh, that's the answer?" Akira said, "I wrote down combustion."

Emiko had the sudden urge to use the tie around her neck as a noose. Unluckily for her, she couldn't reach the ceiling. She closed her eyes, running out of options.

The Sensei wouldn't move her back beside Hinata. She asked nicely, she begged and grovelled, she tried annoying her seat mate, but Akira was taking it as a sign of friendship and would brush off her comments and glares as playful bonding.

"Stupid," Emiko grumbled. "damn useless weed."

She spent the rest of the class with her head on the desk, grumbling under her breath and making terrible allusions to plants. As soon as the bell rang to signal lunchtime, she grabbed her books and sprinted out the door. Something was clawing its way up her throat as she made a beeline for the girl's bathroom.

She pushed the doors open and locked it behind her before anyone else could enter. Then, she dropped to her knees (do not recommend in a public bathroom) and screamed.

"What the hell?" Tsukishima looked over, to the sound of screaming coming from the girl's bathroom.

"Oh, that's Emiko." Hinata walked over.

"Is she okay?"

"Not really, our Sensei made her switch seats and I think she hates her desk-mate."

"Yeah but she hates everyone," Kageyama said as he approached the two.

"Oh, and how do you know Coach's niece?"

He glared and shoved his books into his locker. "Junior High."

"The new first-years are coming to practice today, right?" Hinata asked. "What do you think they'll be like?"

"Ennoshita talked to them yesterday. He said they were quiet."

"As long as they're not like you two," Tsukishima flicked Hinata's forehead. "We deal with enough madness as is."

At that moment, Tadashi and Mirae walked out of their classroom together. She waved goodbye to him, intentionally ignoring the rest of the boys who were standing two steps away from them, and then walked down the hall.