Part 8

It had been an enjoyable Saturday and the family were settling down to dinner, steaming pizzas laid out on the table. All of a sudden, there was a harsh knock at the front door. Caroline raised an eyebrow and got up to check who it was. Almost instantly, she came hurrying back.

"It's the police!" she whisper shouted.

Kassia let go of the half-eaten slice she had in her hand.

"No, no, no, no," she said shaking her head, sinking deep into her chair. "This is not happening."

Her aunt leaned over and squeezed her arm comfortingly. "Come with me. You've got to be strong. I know it's hard. Just breathe."

Kaiden got up but his mum instructed him to remain with his sister.

When Caroline opened the door, she asked primly, "Hello Officer, how can I help you?"

A tall man with a flat cap and a tanned face stood before her. Two other police officers stood behind him and a fourth man, Kassia's dad.

"Give me back my daughter, you kidnapper!" he yelled advancing forward. The tall Officer held out an arm and gave him a stern stare.

"Mr Parker, control yourself. We are conducting an inquiry not an arrest." Turning back to face Caroline, he added, "regarding Kassia Parker."

Suddenly, Kassia stepped out from the shadows, standing alongside her aunt.
"I'm right here. And I was never kidnapped. I chose to come here."

Five minutes later, the chief Officer was interviewing Kassia privately in a separate room from the others.

"Why did you come here?" he began.

The younger girl drew in a deep breath. "That's a long story, Officer. And it's kind of complicated."

"You have to be honest, Kassia. Please. That way, I may be able to help you."

So Kassia began describing her parent's divorce, her mother's death, moving back into her father's home and the circumstances she had to endure there.

"He's always been aggressive and making me feel like I don't belong. Kaiden was the only link I had because... Actually I'd rather not say."

"I need you to be honest."

She sighed. "Because he's my cousin. And she's my aunt. But my dad doesn't know that. I managed to get back in contact with them at the start of secondary school. It got too much when I got hurt by practically everyone in my family and locked in my room. So I had to escape and Kaiden helped me do that." Her voice cracked."I can't leave them. I can never go back to where I was."

"Interesting," the Officer murmured. "You may just get your wish."

"Ehat do you mean?" Kassia's voice was barely a whisper.

The Officer smiled. "In cases such as yours, a child shouldn't remain in an abusive household. Therefore any relatives would be contacted to see if they can take them under their custody." The hopeful look in Kassia's eyes prompted him to add, "if Mrs Andrews agrees to take you in, then you could be formally adopted if that's what you wish."

Noticing the agape expression on Kassia's face, he chuckled and got up. "Let's go have a chat with the rest of them."

Caroline instantly agreed to the proposition. However, Kassia's father has a face resembling storm clouds.

"Officer, she is my daughter, you can't chuck her into someone else's care!"

"In these circumstances, we can, Mr Parker," the policeman countered. His face grew more serious. "And as she has made complaints of mistreatment of your doing, you are to be taken under arrest."

Mr Parker's face fell but he didn't back down. "Where's the proof?"

Kassia twisted her head around revealing the plastered gash. "This" she said steely.

He sneered. "That was your brother, not me."

"And he shall be dealt with accordingly. As will his sister. A trial shall begin to make final decisions as to the consequences." The policeman then turned to Caroline. "We shall also start the process of adoption soon."

Another policewoman took out handcuffs and put them on Mr Parker's wrists. He shot a deathly glare at his daughter.

"This is all your fault."

"No," Kassia replied calmly, although her heartbeat was going through the roof, "you brought this on yourself."

"You would let your own father go to jail."

"To be honest, you haven't been much of a father to me."

With that he was led away. The Officer said his farewells and left. As soon as the door shut, Kaiden and Alex emerged from the living room.

"You're going to be my big sister!" Alexa shrieked gleefully, as she launched herself into Kassia's arms. They all laughed at this, Kassia hugging her soon to be sister, tightly. Tears of joy streamed down her face.

"I feel like the person in the world."

"So do I" Caroline agreed. She leaned in to kiss Kassia on the forehead. "In a short amount of time, I'll have a son and not one but two daughters."

Kassia grinned widely. "I can never thank you enough."

"How many times do I have to tell you to stop thanking me. I've got your back now, we all do. We're family and always will be."

Kassia noticed that Kaiden hung back, joy plastered to his face. She lowered Alexa and approached him.

"We did it, after all this time."

Kaiden smiled. "Does this mean I finally get a hug?"

She pretended to think about it, causing Kaiden's expression to sadden slightly, but then Kassia bear hugged him with such force, he Staggered a few steps. "Of course, silly!" Kassia said with a laugh. Kaiden chuckled alongside her, holding her firmly. Their family was finally complete.

Hey guys! Really sorry for the long wait. That's the end of this story! Hope you enjoyed it. Let me know how you found it in the comments. For now, it's goodbye from me😁