Chapter 18

[ XVIII ] Chapter 18

       "What's wrong, Genevieve? You've been quiet since we left Forks." Cyrus queried, genuine concern radiating from him. Currently, the three of us were running across the Pacific Ocean to cross Asia into Europe.

        "You're always chatty." Tristan agreed, coming up beside me. "And annoying."

        I snorted and rolled my eyes. "Thanks. I now know how I act when I'm around complete morons." I sneered playfully, turning my head at an angle to look down my nose at him.

        Tristan pretended that he had long flowing hair and flipped it over his shoulder, imitating a slut's voice. "I know right? I'm the queen of morons and Cyrus over there is the princess!" He clapped his hands together with a large, goofy smile.

        Said vampire raised a brow. "You've gone insane."

        "Hush, my child. You talk too much."

        Exasperated with their jokes on each other, I sighed. "Guys, enough. Bother me all you want with your obnoxious bickering at the castle; just let me use this limited time we have remaining for solitude." Quickening my pace so I was a few lengths ahead of them, I floated back to my thoughts.

        What if Carlisle was right? What if everything I've known—Master Aro's information, my origins, and friends— was all a lie? If my brain was a lie? Recently, I couldn't even open the doors to my gift; they were sealed shut from me. It made me feel alone and isolated; my power of knowledge is what gave me a sense of security. My mind wandered back to this morning where the iron doors wouldn't budge at all. Not even when I willed it to. I shivered at the feeling of desolation.

        Dread encompassed me in it's terrifying grip. Desperate to shake it off, I immediately thought of different things to try and distract my mind. The day when I came to the Volturi for the first time. . . the memory flashed before my eyes.

        ​Shit. Was my only thought as I stared back at the young-looking girl. "Why?" I growled quietly, not removing my foot from Edward's throat. "I'm in the middle of telling this suicidal guy off."

        No answer. She only turned and walked back into the room, leaving the doors wide open. There sat the three Volturi Kings. Shit. Removing my foot instantly, I glanced down at Edward who merely rolled over into the room before standing. Rolling my eyes, I walked in after him. The large doors swung shut behind us.

        The room was dome-shaped, columns stood to the sides, holding up a ring of intricate linings. Benches sat between each Volturi guard and I sighed. I am doomed. I fucking hate you, Edward. Just know that. I fucking hate you.

        I snuck a glance at him and the edges of his lips were up. Bastard. "Well well." A smooth voice lured my eyes from Edward's infuriating face to the guy seated in the middle, on the dais, between two other men. Aro? I tapped into my mind. Yeah, the psychotic vamp who wanted vampires with gifts in his coven.

        I crossed my arms in a small stance of defiance. It wasn't the medieval era. I wasn't bowing down to anyone. "We heard a bit of a ruckus outside. . ." Aro continued in his creepy voice. 

        Raising my brows to silently prod him to continue, I almost ripped my hair out in frustration. I was dealing with crazy suicidal people today, and now people who talked in a very slow manner. Today was just not my day.

        I blinked owlishly in confusion. That wasn't what happened. When I came to Volterra I wanted to leave my previous Coven. . . I nearly tripped over my own feet. No. That wasn't what happened. I came to Volterra to. . . to. . . tell Edward something. . . my head started to pound uncontrollably and I hissed in discomfort. I need answers and I needed them soon.

        "Genevieve, hey." Someone prodded me in the back. "Get out of the sun before someone sees you." When I didn't move a muscle, a strong arm pulled me into the shadows of a tree. "Goddamnit what is up with you?" I looked up to see Cyrus glaring down at me. I shrugged meekly and Tristan sighed behind him.

        "She's becoming unstable. Lets hurry up and report to Master Aro so we can bore her even more with our stories." He winked devilishly and I rolled my eyes. Blankly, we walked through the entrance and, to be honest, I hadn't realized how terrifying this placed looked with its never-ending halls and dark corridors. I hadn't even noticed we'd set foot on Italian soil. Maybe all that thinking and memory thingies helped pass the time.

        The Throne Room doors opened for us and the first thing we heard was. . .

        "--you and you! Oh my god you guys are so cute with each other! Yes! That's it!"

        The three of us deadpanned as we saw a little, 5'0 blonde pixie dancing in the middle of the room with a gleeful smile plastered on her delicate face. She seemed to be a newborn; judging by the wild curiosity in her eyes of course. Discreetly, we edged along the outer perimeter slowly as to not alert her to our presence. "Ah, you have returned." Marcus rasped and I swore darkly.

        Cyrus nudged me warningly. "We have returned, Mas—" He started.

        "Oooh! Yes! Twins! I ship you guys with. . . those two girls over there!" The blondie giggled and my tolerance level dropped, as did the twins'. . . actually I thought I saw a gray vein strain in Cyrus' neck.

        "Cyrus, Tristan, Genevieve, meet Raquel, our new recruit." Aro stated a bit too proudly, his red eyes sparkling with mischief. In answer, we dropped to our knees, head bowed, and hand over heart; the normal salute. . . yet it didn't feel right with me.

        "I ship you with Lord Caius!" She suddenly squealed, pointing at a regular female guard and my rage raised to a whole different level. I didn't understand this emotion. What was I feeling? The female guard tried her best to seem indifferent but eventually, she averted her eyes and bit her lip. It took my entire will to stop the growl that wanted to escape from my throat See. I'm not lying. . . It was only a whisper; a caress of the wind, but I heard Genvius loud and clear. Fine. Maybe you're not. . . But you still have no proof. 

        Involuntarily, my mouth moved of their own accord. "Please do not degrade Master Caius as such, Queen Athenodora already holds his heart."

        I heard a snort from Tristan which was silenced by Cyrus' elbow jab. Then, black polished shoes appeared in my peripheral vision. A cool hand came to my chin and tilted it upwards so my neck was straining with the pressure. "What is this. . .?" Aro breathed, his jet-black hair creating a veil around us. I caught a glimpse of Master Caius' smoldering gaze on me before the thick silk hair obscured my vision. As I stared into his eyes, they hardened once they read every thought that has passed through my mind. "Do you doubt me, Genevieve?"

        "Of course not, Master Aro. I place my complete trust in your hands, therefore, my life." My reply was automatic. In my mind, I could see Genvius recoiling in dismay. No, Genevieve. Fight it! Your will is stronger than this!

        The king's eyes flashed dangerously and I suppressed the urge to flinch. Genvius should stay quiet when I am in contact with Aro. "Let me ask you, guard." He emphasized. "Is there a problem you see? Anywhere at all?" The tone was meant to be a simple question, but I heard the underlying threat in his words. I couldn't tell though; my doors were locked from me.

        It was clear that I only had one path to take; the one away from my curiosity. The one that stripped the last of my pride away, leaving me naked. The one that gave me humiliation.

        Submission.