03

Senior year. Hazel could hardly believe it. Getting ready for the first day felt special to her, and she knew it was her last first day. Quietly brushing her hair she hummed to herself happily. Her morning routine was finished earlier then she was expecting, as she bounced downstairs to say good morning to her mom. "Hey Hun, you ready for your last year?"

Smiling, Hazel nodded and grabbed an apple, taking a quick bite before replying, "I am, school's a pain and I can't wait for it to be over." Marina smiled back, sitting down on a stool next to her.

"Well I'm not. You grew up too fast.." Marina played with the silver strip in hazel's hair. "God I wish your father was here, he'd know what to say better then I would."

Hazel nodded, her eyes glistening over for a moment as she held back tears. "He was always better with words." The two women laugh, their sad looks turning to bright ones for a moment. "Thanks mom, for being there after dad died."

"Of course hun, what kind of mother would I be if I left you on your own when you needed me."

Taking a deep breath Hazel nodded, picking up her book bag and car keys. "Yeah, I'm still thankful. It was a tough time, and I'm glad I had you, grandpa, and Avaline. It was a big help."

Checking the time Hazel smiled before turning to her mom, "I'm off, have a good day at work."

"You have a good last first day, and say hello to Jasper and Bella for me." Marina called to her daughter, who responded with a thumbs-up as she walked out the door.

*********************************************************************

"Hazel hey!" Alice called out as she jumped a railing a scurried over to her. "I need your help."

Stopping for a moment, Hazel looked at the fairy-like girl in front of her. "Depends upon what you need, but I'll probably help. What's up?"

"Bella's birthday party." Those three words left Hazel confused. Her cousin didn't want a birthday party, she wouldn't even let anyone get her a present (Though mostly everyone had/ was going to disregard that.)

"Bella's... Birthday party?" Hazel was curious, she wanted to know what Alice was up to. "I'll bite, tell me about it on the way to English." Just then, Jasper came striding up behind Hazel, wrapping an arm around her waist.

"Heya Darlin'." The initial cold of his skin on her made her jump, but she quickly relaxed into his embrace.

"Hey J, how are you?" She felt Jasper smile against the top of her head as he planted a kiss there.

"I'm doing well, is Alice trying to get you in on her scheme?"

Alice scoffed playfully, rolling her eyes while Hazel laughed. "She is, and it's quite the scheme."

"It's not a scheme. I want to plan a party, and with Bella's birthday coming up, I figured now was the perfect time. Plus, I would love to surprise her!" Alice grinned, her face brightening even more somehow.

Jasper and Hazel returned the smile, -Jasper's lips were only quirked up a small bit, "It's deeeeeeeeeefinitely a scheme Alice, no need to justify yourself. You can scheme all you like. I want to hear about this plan of yours, maybe I can help you with the details."

Alice squeals giddily, grabbing Hazel's arm. "Will you really? It'll be much appreciated." Jasper's smile broadened as Hazel squirmed at Alice's excitement.

"You're in for it now Darlin', Alice doesn't hold back when it comes to a party." He chuckles. "Might want to wrap up the party conversation, Bella's approaching."