13. Pain

Xavier's POV

It had been 3 weeks. 3 weeks since her beautiful eyes were opened. All because of my stupid pride and fear.

I should have told her the first week she was here what I was, what she means to me and my world. I was afraid of her rejection, I didn't want her to see me as a monster. Yet she still doesn't know, but sees me as a monster anyway. I saw it in her eyes that night. She thought I was behind what he did to her. 

I was too prideful, wanting her to submit to me instead of being my equal and being honest with her. I was worried about others treating her differently for being human when all the time I was the one guilty of it.

I refused to leave her side. Mates heal faster when they have skin contact. I wouldn't let go of her hand for very long. They had to put her in a coma because the pain would have been too much for her. 

After the 1st week I had her moved to our bedroom. Everyone was going by her room trying to get a glimpse of their new Queen, but I couldn't let them see her like that. She wouldn't want them too.

The doctor came in 6 times a day to change her position on the bed, change her bandages, empty the catheter, change her IV fluids and add stuff to her feeding tube that runs down through her nose. 

She can't be on her back so she lays mostly on her stomach, they move her head to the other side and prop her up on her sides through out the day. It's always something different so that she won't be in one position too long.  

The doctor showed me how to do everything just in case she needed anything through out the night. I know he would come if I called, but it made me feel useful. I've become her nurse and I'm damn proud to be able to care for her. 

At night before bedtime I take off her bandages and clean her wounds then I turn into my wolf and lick them. Since she's my mate my saliva helps her heal faster. She'll have scars, but not as many. She's healed quite nicely and the doctor will be waking her from her coma in the morning. I don't care if she's mad or what she destroys as long as she's ok.

Randall was still out there some where and the warriors had yet to find him. I vowed to track him down myself once she wakes up and I know she's ok.

The other guard who came into my office that day, Michael, He had come to ask to have Randall transferred from the cells. He said Randall had tried to rape Alex and she fought back breaking some of his fingers, before he could. Enraging him.

The other guards all made a schedule to make sure he was never alone with her.

If I had only listened to him that day, she wouldn't have gotten hurt. 

Randall caught him off guard and bashed him over the head. With out his healing abilities he would have died from the impact. 

For half and hour he whipped her, for half an hour I did nothing. She never made a sound, she never screamed, not giving him the satisfaction. She was so strong. I hadn't felt the mate bond before I didn't know. I should have. It's all my fault.

~~~~~

I got up at 7am and took a quick shower. The doctor was due any minute and hopefully my princess will wake up soon. All her wounds were closed and healed up nicely. 

Sitting by the bed side holding her hand I smelt the doctor before I heard him knock.

"Come in." I said never taking my eyes off of her.

"Are you ready Sir?" Doctor Thompson asked

"Yes." I answered nervous

He got to work removing her catheter, feeding tube, then IV. 

"With the drugs no longer going in through the IV drip to make her sleep, it may take about an hour before she wakes up. She can get up move around and take a shower or bath if she wants, she just doesn't want to move too fast for a few days. I'll be having breakfast up here this morning just in case. Alert me if there is an issue." He said leaving.

30 mins later as I'm brushing her hair behind her ear for the hundredth time her eyes fluttered open.

She looked at me with something I had never seen in her eyes before. True fear. She flinched away from me then winced in pain, casting her eyes down.

"Sshhh.. take it easy your going to be sore, but your fine. I'm so sorry that happened to you. We are looking for that guard now. He will be brought to justice for what he's done to you. I'm so sorry I should have never put you there in the first place. I wasn't thinking straight. Nothing like this will ever happen again. I know it will take time, but please forgive me." I said

She didn't say a word, her eyes never met mine. She just stared at her hand in front of her.

"C-can..Am I a-allowed to t-take a s-shower?" she asked so quietly that if I wasn't a wolf I wouldn't have heard her.

"Yes, the doctor said it was fine. Here drink this water your throat is going to be sore for a few days." I said

As she drank I asked her "Do you want a shower or do you want me to draw you a bath?" 

"Can I have a b-bath?" She asked still not looking at me.

"Of course." I said confused as to why she said it like a question I thought I said she could have either one she wanted.

I quickly started her bath putting in a bath-bomb that smelled like cherry blossoms. 

I came out of the bathroom and saw her moving to sit up on the side of the bed.

"Woah baby your legs are going to be a little weak for a little bit. Let me help you." I said helping her stand.

We slowly made our way into the bathroom, shutting the door behind us.

"Your doing really good." I told her

We made it over to the tub.

"Can you manage or do you need help?" I asked wanting her to tell me what she needed.

"I c-can't." was all she said.

I took the hospital gown off of her and lowered her panties down with out looking while she held on to the counter. I helped her step in and sit down in the tub.

She winced in pain a few times, but never said a word.

"Do you want me to wash your hair?" I asked her

"Whatever you want to do." She said her voice barley above a whisper.

I got to work on her hair and mind-linked some of the maids to bring breakfast in and take out the medical equipment, clean up the room and change the sheets while I shampooed and conditioned her hair, once I rinsed it out I left her alone so she could wash in private while I went to pick out some cloths for her.

While in the closet I saw my hoodie she loves to wear and grabbed it along with some shorts, under wear and fuzzy socks she loves as the doctor said she wouldn't be able to wear a bra for the time being. 

"Is this ok?" I asked holding up the cloths I had picked out.

"Whatever you want me to wear is fine." She said quietly not meeting my eyes.

I helped her get out and after she dried off I helped her get dressed then towel dried her hair then brushed it. The whole time I watched her in the mirror. She never looked at me.

I helped her walk back into the room and over to the bed. I saw her glancing at the window seat where she loves to sit.

"Do you want to eat in bed or at the window?" I asked her.

"Wherever you want me to eat is fine." She said.

Then it hit me. She had completely submitted out of fear. My wolf howled in pain. Her submission is not something I wanted anymore. I had broken her. And the realization shattered my heart even further than it always was.