chapter 1: the selection

On May 5th, a certain number of 8-12th grade students are selected to take part in the non-optional FairyTale Course. They are made to portray the character they are selected to be, and the Committee will decide how the story will play out. In certain cases, such as the one you're reading, the "hero" may lose to the villain.
Savannah Greene was in the FT room. This was the room where she would find out what character she had been chosen to portray for the rest of her life. She was shocked she had been chosen, and there were a few other at Blove K-12th who had been chosen as well. She was sitting with 3 of her classmates in 12th grade, a girl named Jamie and two twins named Flinn and Jonathan. There was a younger 11th grade (though, she looked much younger) girl named Scarlett. Savannah was shocked to learn that she and the other 4 students would be placed in the same story. Martin Jemmings, the head of the FTC in Missouri, walked into the room with 5 envelopes in his hand. He walked with a certain pomposity that screamed importance. "In my hand, I hold the envelopes that decide your character and how your story will play out. Who knows, perhaps the villain will win?" Mr. Jemmings smirked at Jamie and then continued. "Oh, cut it out. Just give us the papers already." Jamie said, rolling her eyes. "I already have to leave my family and friends for eternity, so the least you can do is hurry it up." Mr. Jemmings, flustered, said,"I have to give you them in alphabetical order so the Committee can record and note your reactions. Scarlett Abbott, you're up first." He walked her into a separate room, where her future would be decided. Savannah looked nervously at Jamie and the twins, who were carrying their own conversation and occasionally looking over at her. About 10 minutes later, Scarlett walked out of the room, with her eyes red and glancing nervously at Jamie. Since they were forbidden to talk to people who had already gotten the results, Savannah had to wait until her name was called last. She walked in, Mr. Jemmings pressed play on the video camera, and she opened up her paper.
Scarlett was at the entrance of the door when she was done. "So, I guess we're going to be spending time together?" She said, with a fake laugh and her eyes nervously darting over to the other snickering group. "Oh Scarlett, I'm so sorry about what's going to happen." Savannah said, hugging her. "It is going to be all Ariel's, I mean my, fault!" Scarlett looked up at her from her small frame. "It's okay, maybe it's not going to happen. I mean, why would Ursula, or Jamie, want to keep Flounder forever? It really doesn't make sense." Jamie walked over to them, her eyes glittering. "Looks like you made a bad deal, kiddo!" She said looking at Savannah while ruffling Scarlett's hair. "Too bad I win- and I get to keep your little friend and you!" "What's wrong with you? I know we've never been friends, but you don't need to make a complete 180 personality change," Savannah said, rolling her eyes and noticing the two waiting transport guards. She did a double take, realizing they were waiting for the group, and grabbed Scarlett's arm before walking over, not wanting her to spend any time with the "Terrible Trio." They all headed out to the transport bus, which, Savannah assumed, would take them to their temporary training rooms before.... well, they started their story.