Chapter 8: "Bad weather"

A/N: Hello! Continue enjoying this story!

All rights to C. S. Lewis

Chapter 8: "Bad weather"

With the first weak rays of sun and the cool and salty morning breeze coming from the sea, a squirrel and three mice left Cair Paravel. They would travel north for two days, half the time it would take to the company that would leave the second morning after their departure, unaware to any of this.

This schedule would give them time to get to the dwarves, unnoticed, to let them know of the arrival of the company and keep an eye on the road for any altercation the soldiers might encounter. All this while staying hidden, all the time.

The Kings and Diácano saw them departure from an archway hidden behind large plants near the castle walls. Hoping for the best they turned as soon as they saw the last red feather from the mice's hat disappear in the tall grass near the woods that surrounded part of the castle.

Too many things had to be arranged yet before the company left towards the dwarves. But by the end of day there were fifteen, men and creatures, all volunteers and very skilled warriors of the King's Army. Despite the Erasmus' resistance they concluded that it was for the best if Diácano leaded this mission.

So the rest of the time before their departure he kept Casio, his fellow centaur and second in command, by his side giving him guidelines to follow in his absence.

On the evening before the company's departure Edmund was walking back to his chambers for a quick clean up before supper when he spotted Susan by a window in the dim corridor.

"The weather is changing" stated Susan sensing his presence, not taking her eyes from what she was looking out from the window. He had wanted to talk with his sister since their arrival to the castle two weeks ago but she seemed determined to avoid him.

Edmund came to a stop besides her and look out too from the window. They could see the sea, furious waves crashing on the rocks of the cliffs, dark clouds covering the sky. 

It had been like this for several days now that he thought of it

It had been like this for several days now that he thought of it. "What do you mean?" he asked her anyways.

She looked at him for a second, thinking her answer and then turned to the window again. "Come on, a monsoon?" she ironically questioned.

"Well, I wouldn't say it is a monsoon, the weather has been quite humid these last few days, it's just a storm probably", he speculated.

But Susan just shook her head, "It's something else, you can feel it too Ed" she nudged him gently "like something is moving in the shadows, slowly stirring and getting ready. Darkness." Although what she was saying was alarming her voice was calm and quiet, her blue eyes never leaving the sea, and her face serene.