Chapter Two (part 1)

Chapter Two - Clare

I saw Sophie out of the corner of my eye, sliding her finger down the side of the green flower pot on the kitchen table. I continued to fill my water bottle, desperately trying to ignore the fact she had moved it fractionally to the left. I bit my lip. I wouldn’t say anything.

‘Come on Care Bear,’ Sophie said. ‘The sooner we get there, the sooner we can leave.’

‘No, the class starts at quarter past six and as the gym is only a five minute drive away. We don’t need to leave for another two minutes. Trust me, I have this down to a fine art.’

‘A fine art you say? If that’s what you want to call it, then a fine art it is.’

I ignored her and continued to mop the drips of water from around the sink with a piece of kitchen roll rather than the sponge as everyone knew sponges harboured millions of bacteria. ‘Right, shoes on then,’ I insisted checking my watch.

‘Wow, is this how I sound to my class full of six and seven-year-olds? I must be so annoying.’

‘I’m just excited Soph. After all this is the first time you’ve ever wanted to come to the gym with me and I just want you to get the most out of it.’

‘Okay Care Bear, okay. But just for the record, you know I’m only coming so we can spend some time together right? I’m not looking to kill myself on the treadmill or anything like that. I’m just conscious that I’ve not seen you properly since I moved out.’

It had been three weeks since Sophie moved in with Tom and although I missed her and her endless optimism, singing in the shower and insisting we watched inane crap on the television, I did not miss cooking for her, ironing her clothes or tidying up after her. I had passed that responsibility onto Tom now.  

I recalled the time Sophie had tried to be helpful and had cooked me a microwave meal for when I got back in from a late night inspection. However, all I had returned home to was her sulking face as she lamented the loss of the pasta bake she had managed to nuke in the microwave. It would seem she forgot to add water and it had taken an entire week and a half to rid the house of the burning smell. Yes, things like that I would not miss.

Sophie was still a child, a reason why all the children she taught loved her. But I had always wondered whether she had fallen in love with Tom for the man he was or if she’d actually been drawn to him just because he was a fine dining chef who had just set up his own restaurant, which was already receiving great reviews.

She’d never go hungry that was for sure. She may have been beautiful, but Tom’s culinary talents were not proving so great for Sophie’s waistline. Harsh of me I know – but it was true.

‘Although, I suppose I should really join the gym Care Bear if I want a body like yours,’ Sophie said pinching her waist. I felt the heat rush from my very core to my face like a tidal wave. I was not good with compliments.

Sophie tilted her head in sympathy as she stared at my suitably pink cheeks. ‘You know Clare, you really are painfully modest. Get a grip, when somebody pays you a compliment, try accepting it.’

I screwed up my face like a pug.

‘Well you don’t look so hot right now but never mind,’ she added gruffly.

My face relaxed into a wide smile. Sophie was always telling me I was pretty and that she wished she had my curly hair or toned abs. However, she was only telling me to boost my confidence. Friends did that. They told you things to make you feel good about yourself. I mean even though I thought Sophie was a little podgy I would never tell her that in a million years.