CHAPTER 23

I walked down the quiet hallway that led to my dad's office. It was decorated with many pictures of us ranging from when we were smaller to how we are now. At the far end was a large double door that led right into his office. I walked in without knocking as per usual. He was seated on his large oak table scribbling away on a notebook. I walked over to him and pulled myself unto the table.

"how many times have I told you to knock before you enter?" he asked me without looking up from the book. I shrugged. They were too many to count.

"anyways, I was wandering if Emma and I could go to the new ice cream shop downtown" ever since the Chuck incident I have to have an escort to wherever I'm going. It's so annoying. Dad said no. "wait? What?" I yelled.

"sorry, today is daddy and Hazel day' he replied.

"I thought it's father and daughter day" I retorted. He shrugged. "we come up with our own thing, be ready in 20" I sighed and got down from the table before going in search of Emma to tell her the bad news. I walked into the living room where Emma and Miles were playing a game of Mario Kart. She turned to me once I walked in and dropped her controller.

"dad said no" I revealed. She groaned. "apparently, today is father and daughter day"

"aww, I really wanted to go" she whined. Miles stood up quickly.

"I could take you, it'll be fun" I looked at miles with contempt. What was he trying to do? Emma and I are supposed to go for the first time together.

"actually, I promised hazel I'll go with her for the first time, sorry" he looked very disappointed and sad. I just rolled my eyes at him. He's being childish. I heard a knock on the door but everybody pretended not to hear it so I just lay on the couch waiting for anybody to stand up but nobody did. They knew I'll break and finally go and open it, me being the goody miss too shoes. I walked up to the door and threw it open. There stood a man he was dressed in a polo shirt and jeans, he had black hair and dark skin, behind him was a teenage guy with the same dark skin but he wore a black hoodie over ripped jeans.

"good afternoon" the man said "is this the Valdez house?" I stared at him for a second trying to find out if he was a threat to our wellbeing but he seemed good to me so I nodded my head. "I'm John Holmes, this is my son Aiden, we're looking for Emma" I almost choked. Emma's dad was at my door, on my porch.

"who's there Hazel?" I heard Emma say from behind me as she walked over. She gasped when she saw the two figures at the door.

"dad? Aiden? What're you doing here? She managed to choke out. Her dad smiled down at her.

"I wanted to spend time with you, you know, father and daughter day" he said. "that sounds familiar" I murmured under my breathe.

"k, can they come in?" Emma asked me. I blushed just remembering I forgot to let them in. I let them walk in before shutting the door. I led them to the living room where the others were still at. They didn't even notice us enter until I threw a random shoe on Percy's head. He yelled and turned to me but he didn't yell at me noticing our guests. There was awkward silence in the room as the guys gave me questioning glances.

"guys, this is Mr. John Holmes, Emma's dad and Aiden Holmes, Emma's brother, and Mr. Holmes, these are my brothers, Ivan, Alan, Percy, Simon, Miles and Dale." I introduced. They all exchanged pleasantries and greetings. I noticed Emma was a bit drawn back and was not talking so I drew her into the kitchen and questioned her.

"this is new, I never knew he'll show up here and I don't know how to behave around him" she told me. I gave her a tight hug.

"I'm sure it'll be fun and I won't be here anyway, so you have to go, consider he went through all this trouble to find you" she seemed a bit hesitant so I dragged her back into the living room and announced that she will be going with her dad. She seemed a bit shocked but it soon faded when she saw the big smile on her father's face. Dad walked in and the look on his face was complete shock when he saw his two guests.