22.

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO,taking chances

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO,
taking chances.

✦✧✦✧

The benign silence rang through the cell block - it was peaceful for once. No kids were screaming or people talking; it was the perfect morning for the tired couple laying encased in one another's arms. Nicole slept against Daryl's chest as he combed his fingers through her hair. A lot has changed in the past eight months. With the Governor gone, everyone was able to relax and lay out a routine. It was almost like it was before - just, ya know, with walkers. The people from Woodbury seemed to become relative assets to the community, and eventually, they started to bring people in from the road. With the cell blocks clean, the prison finally fortified and walker free, they had enough room to house more than enough people. Who would have thought that a prison would look like a home?

Nicole calmly stirred from her sleep, letting out a soft whine as she moved her body tighter against Daryl's. The relaxing beat of his heart always gave her comfort. Nicole was happy to say that she hadn't had a night terror in four months - though she wouldn't go around parading the fact that it was Daryl who seemed to stop them. She felt wholeheartedly safe with him and that tied into her dreams. For four months, Nicole felt truly safe.

"Ya gonna get up anytime soon?" Daryl muttered while still tracing his hand through her hair. Nicole just whimpered as she inched closer to him. Daryl let out a breathy chuckle, leaning his head back.

"Five more minutes," she rasped as she pressed her face into Daryl's chest again.

"Ya said five minutes an hour ago," he replied, watching the woman sleep peacefully on his chest. Daryl always admired how peaceful she looked when she was asleep. He never would have thought that the two of them would end up together - let alone be curled up next to each other like they were straight out of a romance novel.

Nicole let out a dramatic groan as she opened her eyes and positioned herself so she could stare at him. "You're so mean to me," she whispered with a pouty face. "I was just trying to get my beauty rest."

"What beauty?" he asked playfully. Nicole faked a shocked expression and smacked his chest before she lugged herself over his body. Without hesitation, the woman stood up happily stretching her limbs as her joints cracked. Nicole glanced back to Daryl, who was watching her with wide eyes.

The blonde laughed softly. "Guess you found the beauty, after all, Mr. Dixon," she quipped out with a perky undertone. "Too bad." Nicole tugged on her jeans over her boyshorts all while keeping a watchful eye on the man on the bed. Daryl sat up and began pulling on his boots while Nicole put on hers.

The couple kept their gaze on one another as they finished tying their laces. Nicole gave Daryl another frisky quirk of her brow as she stood up from her bent position. She was about to walk out, but Daryl stepped in front of her. He stared down at the beautiful woman before him, reaching his hand up and lacing it in her hair as he planted a tender kiss upon her lips. Nicole happily obliged, wrapping her arms around him. They were filled with blinding euphoria; they never wanted it any other way. "Ick," a childish voice came from behind them. They pulled away from each other with heavy breaths as they glanced out of their cell door. "Get a room!"