Prologue

The lithe body weaved through the fallen branches, the nettle bushes and the sharp, exposed thorns parting with force. Her legs were sore, and she hadn't cleared much ground before she tripped over a large oak root. The silver she-cat squirmed and struggled to her aching paws. Her heart was pounding and she couldn't breathe properly.

"Help! Someone please, please!" The weak she-cat called desperately. At the cold feeling of claws against her throat, she hastily sunk her claws into the dirt next to her. She hoped to her long-lost ancestors that they'd have mercy.

The more she struggled, the more the creature put more pressure against her soft, furry neck. She wailed out, longing for a hero or any kind of distraction. Her eyes weren't clouded, fear almost dripping out of them with her tears. It was clear to the she now. Whatever creature this was, it wasn't going to give up until she had been wiped from the face of the world.

The lithe she held her breath and relaxed her muscles. She took deep breaths and nestled into the freezing, pine covered ground under her. The creature hesitated a moment, as if it wasn't satisfied with its prey already giving up.

A distant roar could be heard. She barely noticed with the sharp claws still digging into her neck. Then again, another howl like roar was heard. The still alive silver she-cat tensed with fear. Getting a better hear of it, the she realised that she, nor any other cat had reported or even heard such an odd howl before. The creature holding her down by her throat seemed disturbed too. But it was more like it was losing patience, and if it was so familiar with the roar that it barely bothered him.

The lithe she opened her mouth to protest when the creature tore her throat with her claws. She lay still for a moment, taking in the forest as it grew blurrier with every desperate breath she took.

Then there was silence. Her body was unmoving, and only the bushes around it wavered as the monster fled from its victim.

[][][][][][][][][][{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}{}][][][][][][][][][]

DISCLAIMER

i dont own warrior cats. i own the characters who appear in the books. erin hunter owns warrior cats.