24.

2 4 | p o r t  k e m b l a

MYBIKE CREAKED LOUDLY as I wheeled it down the pavement towards Clemente House, the sky tinting golden behind it. I sighed, stretching in the light and letting the warmth of the morning sun wash over me.

I was exhausted. My muscles were sore from work and my shoulders slumped from lack of sleep. To make it worse, I'd been up all-night thinking about Everett.

Thinking about his lips against mine. Thinking about his past – aching to know more about his dad and Emma and everything that had led up to our meeting. Thinking about what had caused him to become that miserable boy I'd met at the start of summer.

Thinking about how Austin had revealed an embarrassing secret to him yesterday.

I groaned, humiliation flooding me at the memory.

In the distance I could already see Everett against the porch railing, his head dropped low and fingers wringing together.

We hadn't spoken much after returning from Isla yesterday. I wanted to thank him for defending me against Austin, but a part of me was still mortified.

I was angry at Austin. No, I was furious. How could he bring up such an embarrassing moment from my past? And so casually too, like it was just a big joke to him, in front of everyone. In front of Mia – and Everett.

But now he knew. And I was still waiting for him to tease me about it, call me a second choice. A part of me was dreading it. Maybe that was why I hadn't attempted to have a real conversation with him since then.

It definitely wasn't River's words getting to me. I most certainly hadn't stayed up all night replaying his words in my head.

I see the way you look at Everett.

What was that even supposed to mean? The only special way I ever looked at Everett was when I wanted to strangle the life out of him. That was it.

Besides, I was in love with Austin. Even when he didn't text me for days. Even when he invited Mia to our special island. Even when he had me waiting ten years for something – anything more than his tight hugs and friendly handholding.

Because Austin was like Shellside Bay – permanent. Comfortable.

Everett would be leaving in less than a month. He was the complete opposite of Austin. His smiles were always teasing. His eyes were always burning – never gentle. And soon, he'd be gone.

Within another few steps, my bike let out another resounding creak, causing Everett's head to snap up and lock eyes with me.

I ignored the way my stomach flipped when his hazel eyes locked onto my brown. I stepped forward, my face warming as my bike rattled over the rocky path. Everett cracked a smirk at me, raising a brow.

"Still haven't put that bike out of its misery, Monroe?" Everett asked, stepping down the porch steps to stand beside me.

I released a weak chuckle, avoiding his eyes. "Are you offering to buy me a new bike, Conolly?"

"You work every single day of your summer break, and you're asking me to buy you a new bike?"

"I told you," I said pointedly. "I'm saving up."

"Ah," Everett hummed, leaning towards me. I met his eye, glittering with amusement, a smirk playing on his lips. "Right. Always saving up for... What was it again? Food and stuff?"

"Yes," I said, narrowing my eyes in challenge. "And what about it?"

"Nothing." He shrugged, turning away. "Just wondering. Exactly what stuff are you saving for that requires you to work nonstop for the entire summer?"