Change

Simmons POV

I wake up and I open my eyes. What a beautiful day!
I feel so happy... Oh shit!
Did Fitz and I kiss last night or was that just my dream?
Eh must've been a dream. I get up and get dressed, I plan on being very productive today. I get down to the lab when I see Fitz.
"Hey!" I say
"Hey."
"I need you to experiment on what will happen if you combine these two chemicals together and then add acid" I order
Fitz looks at me confused, very puzzled.
"Simmons, are you just gonna act like that, after we.... you know..." Fitz trails off
I give him a look of confusion and turn away.
He spins me around and presses me close to him.
"Fitz, what are you doin-"
"Shhh" Fitz says, "don't act like you don't know."
With that he kisses me and I immediately pull away
"What the hell Fitz?!" I yell
Now Fitz looks really hurt and confused
"Why is this weird?! Isn't this what you wanted? You even told me, last night." He yells. He walks away frustrated and confused.
Oh my god! That wasn't a dream.
I just messed everything up! Oh no what am I gonna do?!
For the rest of the day whenever Fitz sees me he turns around or acts like he is talking to someone else.
Things couldn't be more awkward.
Why can't I do anything right?!
Finally Fitz comes to see me in my bunk as I am fumbling around with my papers.
"Jemma. We need to talk."
I stare at him blankly not wanting to start the conversation
" jemma, look we kissed. It was great but I don't think we should do this. You obviously don't want to do this and I will accept that. I think we should just stay as friends and nothing more."
I want to tell him so bad that I didn't mean any of what happened this morning but I know I shouldn't.
It's for the best.
Some secret are meant to stay secrets.
"I understand Fitz." I try to say as happy as I can make it, "friends?"
"Friends." He agrees.
I spit into my hand and hold it out and he does the same, we shake on it.
That's something we've done since we were 15.
Even as we do this, tears sting my eyes and I need him to leave or I will be crying with him there and that's the last thing I want to do.
"I need to, um, finish this" I say as I point down to my papers.
Fitz nods of and walks out of my bunk and closes the door. When I'm sure he's fully gone I let myself go. I throw all my papers to the ground and cry.
This is not how any of this was supposed to go.
Then I hear knocking on my door and I'm able to pull it together.
"Who's there?"
"It's may."
I open the door to let her in and she is quick to examen all of the papers thrown to the ground. Next thing she looks at is me, shit, I forgot to check my makeup.
"I know this isn't my place, but are you okay?" May asks
I nod my head, "I don't want to talk about it."
May understands and moves on but for some reason I wish that she had pushed and asked again what was wrong.
"I just wanted to say, briefing in five, you might want to get cleaned up, or people will ask" may says with a sincere smile.
When she leaves I manage to pick up everything and make myself look as if nothing has ever happened.
Briefing happens and I honestly can't tell you what happens because the whole time I was desperately trying to not cry.
It hurt me to even look at Fitz, yet that was all that I was doing.
"Let's go Jemma!" Coulson yells, "you and Fitz, lab now! Let's go!"
Embarrassed I quickly run down and I don't notice Fitz and I knock him down the stairs with me.
He looks hurt, yet the first thing he does is to check if I'm okay.
He helps me up and I don't even say thanks, this is going to be the most awkward thing ever.
"Hey."
"Hey."
"What's up?
"Nothing, you?"
"Nothing"
This is the worst conversation ever. It seems like what a bad actor would do when following a script.
I am occasionally looking at him and I can feel him looking at me and I look away, but this one time, our eyes lock, and neither of us can look away.
It seems really nice, like the old days, before Leo fitz kissed me and for once in the day I feel quite happy until he looks away fast.

Skyes POV
everyone can tell there is something off.
Fitz and simmons are not being themselves.
They seem unfocused and upset.
I decide to take it upon myself to confront Jemma.
"Jem. Can we talk for a sec?" She walks over and I pushes her into a nearby closet and shut the door before she can escape.
"Oh my god skye! What the hell do you want, I'm not in the mood" simmons annoyingly and angrily says
"Hey I'm just worried about you."
"Well don't be im fine." With that simmons tries to push me out of the way
"Hey! Stop pmssing!" I yell back
"What did you just say", simmons yells, I can tell I hit a nerve, "why would you even say that, just okay, I don't want to talk! You are just making things worse! God skye! I never liked you and I sure as hell never will, I hate you!"
This time I don't push back and I let her leave.
She slams the door and I can tell She's totally pissed off.
Can't she ever take a joke?!
But gosh, what if she actually does hate me.
I've never really had friends, just me and my van and then I got simmons and what if our whole relationship was just in my head.
I can't do this. I don't brother to leave the closet, I can feel my legs giving out and I lock the door from the inside.
My eyes sting from me trying not to cry. I can't do this anymore I just can't. I let a single tear come out, bad choice skye, now a million follow and I can't stop. I try to be quiet when a knock comes on the door.
"Yeah?" I sniffle
"It's may."
"What's wrong? Why are you crying?"
"I don't want to talk about it." I say
"No damnit! Everyone shuts me out! I can help you just need to talk" may angrily explains
"I'm sorry, I want to just forget about it. " I mumble
"Can you at least let me in?"
I open the door and she closes it and sits with me.
We don't say anything for a while when she puts her hand on my shoulder and I can't help it.
I cry on her shoulder and surprisingly she is letting me and comforting me.
I end up hugging her and still she lets me even as I'm crying on her.
She hugs me back and then does the most surprising thing, something that I thought Melinda May would never do. She kisses me on my forehead and hugs me back.
I look at her and she looks at me back.
"I love you, I hope you know that. And trust me skye I don't take that lightly. Since the day I met you I've known your potential and I've known what You have meant to me. I want you to be happy because I care for you. "
"I love you too" I hug her more and I cry even more too.
"Want to talk about it" she asks me again
"I don't know what I mean to people"
"Well for one, you mean a lot to me." May says with a smile as she looks at me with complete honesty
"Thanks, but I mean, to simmons, she told me she hated me and that she always has. I mean she didn't want me on the BUS in the first place, maybe she was just acting, I don't know what to think anymore. I thought she was my friend, my best friend." I choke
May hugs me and whispers " I don't know what's up with her, she would be crazy to pass up on a great person like you. Also I wouldn't take it seriously, she seemed so upset today, I caught her in her room crying just earlier today. Do you know what's up with her?"
"I don't know she seemed really upset, so I was going to talk to her." I mumble
"Don't worry about it." May says
"Thanks. I'm really glad you listened." I give her a hug and she helps me stand up and we leave the closet together.
I'm so grateful for her. I'm glad she told me that she loved me because I really needed someone to tell me that. I think it's bad that I picture my mom like may but I don't think I'll ever tell anyone that.