Chapter 4 - Bastard brother

May I present you

May I present you
. . .
Gerard Deneau!
-A

***

From the car, Alexander could see the Flanigan Tec logo: four vertical lines and one horizontal below them, each one standing for a principle. He briefly looked down on his shirt, that small logo piercing over his heart, it almost felt like it had magic, controlling him, making him someone else. A version of himself that was stronger, powerful and in charge of his own decisions.

Alexander didn't bother to leave the car in the underground parking lot, though maybe he should have since the color of his car didn't really get unnoticed, but for some reasons he didn't. For some time he had been tired of lying.

Toronto's business district had become his second home, if not his first. After his university days he had spent all his days in that area.

Being Francis Deneau's son had its perks and he knew that, from a perspective, his life was and will always be easier than others. He was aware that without his father, he would be an ordinary 24-year-old struggling with his first real job. Instead, he had been lucky to be born into that world, yet at times, it seemed as if something was missing from him. Despite all the money, all the knowledge and means he could access to. But he never gave much importance to this feeling, or at least not intentionally.

The surrounding buildings were reflecting onto what he was used to call the Headquarters, making it seem like a giant mirror in the middle of the city. Flanigan Tec skyscraper was tall and imponent, the first twenty floors dedicated solely for what the brand stood for: developing apps, hardwares, softwares. All the geeky things he didn't quite understand, unlike Matthew. The rest of the building hid another reality, only those with the Sight acknowledged.

Alexander swiped his badge on the device and then continued on his way, giving a smile to the information desk clerks. By now, he no longer did those gestures out of politeness, but through a simple automatic mechanism, that was activated in him whenever he was in similar circumstances. He huffed remembering why he was there on a late Saturday evening and pressed the lighted button that marked the number 35: the floor where all the meeting rooms were.

The elevator stopped at two more floors letting in a lab technician and a field Eite, judging by the way she was dressed and her name embroidered under the logo on her shirt.

Alexander's anxiety continued to grow, tight spaces were not exactly to his liking, but probably at that moment, the nausea was not caused by his claustrophobia. The elevator stopped on the 35th floor and the metal doors opened to a space with orange sofas and a glass window that looked out over the surrounding buildings. Alexander knocked twice on the heavy dark wooden door, on it was attached was a sign that read:

In Meeting: Flanigan - Deneau. Do not disturb.

A few moments later, a deep voice from the other side of the door invited him to enter. He adjusted the collar of his shirt and lowered the silver handle and entered the room.