Chapter 12: Regret

Sophie's Pov

It was 5 in the morning. 5 in the morning, and all I could hear from my bed was a deafening ringing noise. My imparter. Jumping up, I quickly answered the call.

"Hello?"

"Ms. Foster."

Mr. Forkle? Why's he calling this late?

"Ms. Foster. Please come right now. We've got a bit of a problem at Alluveterre?"

My heart skipped a beat, then started to pound in my throat. "Was it the Neverseen?"

I heard Mr. Forkle sighing. "It might as well be. Please, get here as fast as you can." He hung up.

Quickly slipping on a light grey tunic and my boots, as well as combing my hair, I grab my pathfinder. Turning it over in my hands, looking for the right faucet, I saw my reflection in the clear crystal. My reflection stared back at me, fear woven into my brown eyes. Tearing my eyes away, I lifted the crystal to the moonlight, I slowly glittered away.

"What's happening?" I shouted as soon as I appeared in Alluveterre. The treehouses stood in the midst of the lush green landscape.

Biana was the closest. She had tears in her eyes. Taking a shaky breath, she whispered, "Keefe. He's gone."

My mind immediately flashed to images of a bright golden wanderling tree with ice blue flowers. No. That couldn't be right. That can't be true. Can it?

Without even knowing it, I felt wet tears stream down my face. But... Why isn't Elwin here? Or the councillors? That's when I realized, Biana meant gone, as in kidnapped, rather than gone, as in... dead. Not that much better, but at least it wasn't permanent.

"Where is he? Do you know?" Without even waiting for an answer, I bolted into the treehouse, tearing through the halls, running straight into Mr. Forkle.

"Ms. Foster! Slow down!" Mr. Forkle said.

My feet wouldn't stop. Why they wouldn't, I have no idea. "Where is he? Tell me! I need to know!" My voice was shaking. I couldn't help it.

Mr. Forkle pressed his palms on my shoulders, slowing me down. "We don't know Ms. Foster. But you have to trust us to fix this." His tone was firm, yet calming.

Of course, that didn't work. Clawing at Mr. Forkle's fingers, I yelled, "That's what you always say, isn't it? When have you guys ever fixed anything? I was always us. Me. My friends. Keefe." At the mention of the name, I sobered. "Keefe," I whispered, all my rage gone, replaced by tears.

"Ms. Foster. I know you're mad right now. But if you really want to find Mr. Sencen, we must act with our minds, not our hearts and emotions."

I bit my lip. What he said was right, yet at the moment, all I could hear was the pounding of my heart, screaming at me to go find Keefe. I tried ignoring it, even though I knew I couldn't. Somehow, no matter what I did, all I could think of was Keefe.

"Ms. Foster?"

I snapped my head around. Mr. Forkle was looking at me with concern in his eyes. "Huh?"

"You looked distressed. Remember, don't blame yourself for anything. Guilt is dangerous."

I nodded. Yet, deep down, I knew that I couldn't help it. Guilt creeps up on you. You can't help but feel it. And here I was, the world advancing on me, trying to take everything I care about.

Was there something I could have done? I knew the answer was yes. If it were anyone else that had gone missing, my head would have probably kicked right into action, making some sort of impromptu plan. This time? My heart was overpowering any logic that was left in me. Keefe was too important. I had never thought about it before, but he really was special.

I regret not noticing his condition earlier. I regret not caring about him earlier. I regret every decision I made that slowly pushed him away. 

I have my regrets. But now is not the time to dwell on it. Now is the time to make up for my mistakes.